New Lounger
    Thanks

Win2K IE6 slow start

Using Win2K SP3 IE6.1 128 MB Ram P-III 750 Mhz laptop
    When I start IE6 (or MyIE2) it takes several minutes for either to become available. If I close either and then restart it, I get the same VERY slow start. In contrast, starting Opera (or Mozilla) or any other program gets normal response.

Once IE6 (or MyIE2) has brought up the first page, all subsequent use is normal.

When I use Task Monitor to see what's going on, I see that for the period that IE6 is stalled, the program services.exe is consuming between 88% and 96% of CPU time.

I haven't been using Win2K long (previously Win98 w/IE6.1) and upgraded almost immediately to SP3 (plus a couple of Windows Updates) and from IE6 to IE6.1. I'm no longer posiitive but I don't think this slow load was happening when I first started with Win2K. (I recently loaded Office XP)

Does this ring any bells with anyone - or suggest any possible remedies.

Note: I've tried a restricted reboot so that the only things running when I first start IE6 are services and it makes no difference, so I pretty sure its not just excessive swapping. The load problem seems to be independent of (within reason) any other programs that are running at the same time.

Thanks

Re: Win2K IE6 slow start

What happens when you try and start IE - does the IE window come up immediately (albeit empty), or do you literally get nothing showing?
    What is your Homepage?
    How do you connect to the Internet?
    Do you still get the same delay if you open an html file on your local HD?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Win2K IE6 slow start

Lief:
    >> What happens when you try and start IE - does the IE window come up immediately
    (albeit empty), or do you literally get nothing showing?
    Services.exe usage jumps to about 96%
    Then after about 30-50 seconds the window appears (still blank) and all buttons still unresponsive
    (services still 90+%, after approx 4 minutes the page gets displayed and finally the buttons become responsive) - this is when (forinstance) I invoke it from a link in an OE message)

>> What is your Homepage?
    I've tried using "about:blank", "http://news.google.com/" and a very small page I created on my HDD.
    "about:blank" and the local page display faster, but still not as fast as it "should" (or as fast as Opera does) Until I see the services.exe CPU% go back to zero, its impossible to get a page from the internet to load.

>> How do you connect to the Internet?
    Cable

>>Do you still get the same delay if you open an html file on your local HD?
    See above.
    Note: I posted essentially the same question at annoyances.org (http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum...00/r1039255841)
    and someone there suggested that the culprit might be the OfficeXP in combo with Win2K - he suggested going back to Office 2000. Unfortunately I don't have the Office 2000 CD. Maybe if I can borrow back the Office XP CD I used to install Office XP and no one is able to come up with an alternate suggestion, I'll try uninstalling OffXP to see if that really makes any difference - what do you think.