Thread: Mystery Files

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mystery Files

I have just explored my My Documents folder and have discovered three files apparently created yesterday - 9.12.02 - named: grstyles, template.cfg and UserStl.sk. Looking at the properties for grstyles claims it to be a Certificate Trust List type file. On double click, I receive a message stating "Invalid Public Key Security Object File" in the blue caption and "This is an invalid Certicate Trust List file" in the body of the message.
    Can anybody enlighten me as to their sudden appearance?

Cheers

Rob
    <font color=blue><font face="Script MT Bold"><big>Rob</big></font face=script></font color=blue>

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mystery Files

I assume you did a quick check for a trojan or other evil doer, huh? Funny thing is my initial inclination was that it might be something related to style customizing in Word, but I diddled around on my machine and couldn't create any files with names like you found. I also looked here and didn't find anything. Doing a Google on "GRSTYLES" led me to someplace named Gobe.Com. Ever heard of them? Other than that, my gas tank is on empty - sorry!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

BigAl
    Thanks for the info. Strange that the only place I acessed on the dat the files were created was the lounge.
    I may have been attacked by a miscreant because my mouse is acting a bit strange. I'll do a virus check.

Cheers

Rob
    <font color=blue><font face="Script MT Bold"><big>Rob</big></font face=script></font color=blue>

Star Lounger
    Thanks

You mentioned that your mouse was acting funny.. it is funny, but mine started acting up too. I went to system Information and saw something strange there too. About the installed system. instesd of C: it now has:
    "Clean install using /T:C:WININSTO.400/Scr.Dir=C:WINDOWSOPTIONS.."
    Ending with two dots. I never noticed this /T or the winninsto.400 there before. When i ran system file checker, it showed that my mouse had changed, my printer had changed and something else had changed, even tho I didn't change any of these on purpose. Any ideas? the systen seems to be working fine. In fact my free resources is up to 97%.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Talltexan

Post 204033 contains this information:

<You might try some of the excellent tools here:
    SpywareInfo

Specifically, I would look at HijackThis and the Startup List programs -- gather the information and post your results here for us to look at.>

I downloaded HijackThis, ran it and discovered some very dodgy looking registry entries, which I fixed.
    I also downloaded SpywareBlaster, which prevents spyware Active X controls from being installed or running.
    I hope this helps.

Cheers

Rob

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

What you are seeing is normal for a clean installation of Windows 98. The /T:C:WININSTO.400 part is the temporary directory used during setup, which is deleted afterwards. The SrcDir= portion is the source of the installation files.

System file checker will also show a great many changes to system files, usually due to updates and patches, but it can happen for other reasons as well.

If it's working fine....you have no cause for alarm with the noted items.
    -Mark