3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Toolbar of styles & macro (Word 2000)

I have created a toolbar that lives in our firm's pleading template. It consists of many styles and one macro. When using the template through FILE, NEW, creating a document and then saving that document as a new template, only the styles are in the new template. The macro and toolbar are not there. I know how to use the Organizer to copy them over, but that is not acceptable. The only way I could figure out how to get our personnel to use styles was to create them and put them on a toolbar so all they have to do is point and click.

Does anyone understand why the toolbar and macro are not saving into the new template?

I also want to thank everyone who participates at Woody's Lounge. It is the first place I go to for help and understanding.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Toolbar of styles & macro (Word 2000)

Jan,

This sounds like Word's expected behavior: Your custom toolbar is localized to the template. When you create a new document, the document is accessing the custom toolbar via its attached template. If you save that document as a template, you are severing the document's relation to its originating template, therefore the toolbar (which lives in the original template, not the document), is no longer available to this 'document turned template'.

In that situation your only choice would be to use the Organizer to copy the toolbar over to the new template (or perhaps you can create or record a macro to do so).

But this begs a more important question: Why are you saving these new documents as templates anyway?

Gary

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Jan,

Are you really saving new templates???? rather than documents?

If you are, and therefore you have toolbars and styles that you wish to access across several templates, you could create a global tempate with the styles toolbars in it. This is simple enough and you know how to copy toolbars to templates using organiser. A global template is loaded every time you open Word (note: unless you use start parameters to inhibit this) and is available to all documents, to get the template to be global you need to move it into the Word Startup folder which is specified in Tools, Options, File Locations. Beware that this decision, of using global templates, is part of a bigger activity about designing your template architecture; this sounds a bit grand but really is a necessary activity or organising your thought about the template information and user usage . So if you decide to use a global template with your Styles Toolbar and you then open a new document (based templateX) you may end up with 2 copies of the toolbar displayed if it exists in both the global template and templateX.

Hope this helps

liz

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

They are creating new templates so that their attorney information is part of the template which means they don't have to retype all of that information everytime they bring up the pleading template.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Liz:

As you may know, canibalizing documents over and over will eventually corrupt. This is why I prefer to create templates to use as forms.

I tried what you suggested, making a global template, but it does not work. I have the toolbars now, but all of the styles and one macro I have on the two toolbars did not come across with the toolbars.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Jan,

OK, I see the problem now, but creating a new version of the pleading template for each attorney is not the way to solve the problem - for a number of reasons, the main one being that you will be propagating out too many different templates; making it impossible to administer them/ensure they are all kept correct and up to date.

For example, suppose legal regulations change and you need to change some of the wording in the pleading template. If you have just one pleading template, you can change the wording and you are done. If you allow everyone to create their own customized pleading templates, how do you administer updates to them?

The better way to do this is to have one pleading template (that only you have rights to edit), and which get used by all users. The next step is finding a way to enable each user to get their customized information easily inserted into a new document based on the template. One possible way to do this would be by use of a mail merge (though someone other than me will have to give you details on how to do this!), another possibilty is to have the users store their custom content as autotexts. And another is to use VBA code to bring in user-specific data from some stored location such as a text file or a database.

Any of these latter methods will take some work to set up, but it would be well worth it.

Gary

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Jan,

I wouldn't dream of suggesting endless cannibalisation!
    With the styles problem did you move them into your global template as well as the toolbars?

With your Attorney information you may want to take a look at AutoText as this can successfully store text to insert in a document, it is quite easy to set up and you may want to either add it to a specific template, if one will do the trick, or add it to a global template.

liz

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Gary, thank you for explaining why I have the problem of the toolbar not saving across when a copy of my template is saved as a template.

Autotext is really the best alternative to creating new templates, but trying to get people to change in this office requires an act of God.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Autotext would be the best alternative to creating new templates if I can get out secretaries to accept the change. That is the most difficult part.

Yes, I made the template global and then the toolbar appears but the styles and macro do not come with it. I did make sure the styles and macro were in the template before I put it into the global startup.