Star Lounger
    Thanks

Selecting names when addressing (98/2000/2002)

I've just discovered an interesting feature when selecting names for an email or distribution list. I haven't seen it documented, so thought I'd pass it on.
    When you click on the 'To' or 'CC' button next to the address box of an email, to bring up the list of choices, I always used to curse the way the names were presented 'Firstname Lastname'. When clicking on the 'name' column heading it would simply swap from A-Z to Z-A order, so I'd abandon that and do a search for the name instead. However, I notice that if you click the column a 3rd time, it changes to Lastname Firstname. This is subtle unless you look hard. It wasn't obvious to me previously. It's made all the difference, and has finally made the Select Names feature usable. It's only taken me four years to discover this...

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Selecting names when addressing (98/2000/2002)

That's neat to know. Did you also set the "Tools, Services, Addressing, Properties, Show names by" button to Last?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, I don't have 'Tools/Services' on my Outlook 2000 (it's an 'Internet mail only' setup). But perhaps it works on Exchange setups too? (i.e.clicking on the Names column cycles through FirstnameLastname A-Z/Z-A, then LastnameFirstname A-Z/Z-A?) If so, it's certainly a neater shortcut than laboriously going to the Tools menu! Now to find out how to add other columns (e.g. Company name, job title or postal address) instead of the default of 'email address'. This is because often one is confronted with the name of a person whom you can't remember - you think of them by what their job is, for instance.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

no, it must be an IMO only feature.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

My message was referring to my home Outlook setup, which is Internet Mail Only. I only came across that facility yesterday.
    I've now just checked my office-based Exchange, and the 'column heading' feature isn't there, so one can't alter the ordering with a single click for Exchange-based Outlooks. A shame.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Are you using Outlook or Outlook Exptess?

Also are you using "Contacts" or the local "Address Book"?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 98/2000/2002, and Outlook Contacts.
    Thought I'd made it clear, very sorry.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You have listed three versions, Outlook98, Outlook 2000 and Outlook 2002, which of these are you using and under what OS?

I have been using Outlook since version 97 and now using 2002 in the internet configuration. I have never seen this and can NOT at this time even find a way to do it.
    Can you provide a screen shot of what you have?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Currently I'm using Outlook 2000 (9.0.0.2711) under Windows XP Home. I've started an example email, and clicked on the 'To:' button to summon the 'Select Names' dialog. Attached is a jpeg of this dialog. At the top of the list of names that pops up is a 'Name' heading, followed by four others: email address, business tel, home tel. The last two are hidden, but you can scroll rightwards to them. You can click and drag and drop to change the order of the columns, but I haven't found a way to add any others or remove these ones. I've got four other jpgs to demonstrate the way they change if anyone wants to see them. (email me)
    Anyway, Click on the column heading to switch to the second sort order ('Z-A firstname lastname'), then click again to cycle through 'A-Z lastname firstname', then 'Z-A lastname firstname'. As mentioned, I tried this at work on an Exchange setup of Outlook 2000 / Windows 2000 and those columns didn't show.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I can't get this to work under Outlook 2002 -- there is only one column, "names," and clicking on it does nothing. You have to go through the labyrinth mentioned before. Rats. It seemed like such a good idea!