3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

VBA showing up in Off XP (Office XP, Word 2002, SP-2)

Help,

I am experiencing that VBA is showing up when using a template in Word.

The case is:
    I have several templates (.dot files) stored at the Workgroup-templates folder for the users to apply.

We have just started to use Office XP and when a document is created from a template then VBA is showing up in the background. Sometimes without tool bars, only showing the code pages.

Can anyone tell me what can cause the problem and or what to do to overcome the problem.

Thanks!!!

Bjorn

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: VBA showing up in Off XP (Office XP, Word 2002, SP-2)

Bjorn,

I don't have Word 2002 so may not be much help, but am just wondering exactly what you mean by VBA appearing in the background - do you mean the VB Editor window appears? - is this associated with any kind of error message? Does the word "Break" appear in the title of the VB Editor window? When you see the code modules, is one of the modules open, with a line of code highlighted in yellow - and if so, what does it say?

Gary

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,
    Thanks Gary, quick response.

My problem seems to be a combination of some Microsoft applications working together:

We use SharePoint Portal Server as an archive for our documents. This is accessed with a http - address like this:
    http://S-OSL-23-0012/Finance_and_Admin/Doc...uments/Doc3.doc (Doc3.doc is the test document.)

After we started to use Office XP my "fenomena" appeared:
    opening the document in a ReadOnly modus started VB
    If I check out the document before opening (remove the ReadOnly status) VB does not start.

Conclusion: whether a document is based on a .dot file or just the normal.dot does not have any influence as can be seen from my attached document.

(The problem does not appear using Office 2000)

Regards a frustrated Bjorn (its a pitty that Bill does not read the usergroups)

Bjorn
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Bjorn,

Interesting screen shots.
    Not having worked with either Word 2002 nor SharePoint Server, I'm afraid this is beyond me - hopefully someone will come along who can answer this.
    You say the problem did not occur when using Word 2000 - were you using Word 2000 with SharePoint, or did that start when you moved to Word 2002? (I'm betting this is a SharePoint issue, and not a Word issue.)

Gary

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

We used SharePoint on Office 2000 (on Wind 2000)
    On this system it worked satisfactorily, but opening a document using a browser results in a tempfile opening in Word.
    SharePoint is like a browser. When opening this way no auto open macro will start. But VB did not start.

We have now:
    Wind 2000, Office XP (Word 2002 SP-2)

VB starts when the document is read only.

Don't know how to overcome this problem. Its a pity that Woody's does not have a usergroup where one can discuss various problems regarding interface and operation between applications.

I had hoped that there is a Key in the registry that could solve the problem, but ....

A key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/sOFTWARE/Classes/Word.Document.8 called BrowserFlag can be set to a (=10) and then the document opens as a normal file from SharePoint (a browser) but still no macros will start when opening the file. (Security reasons??).

Well, I will continue to search for solutions on other places though this place is the best.

Thanks anyway, appreciate your interest!!

Regards
    Bjorn

Thanks

Bjorn, I've never used SharePoint, but we have had a few threads on it here. I think it has not been so widely adopted yet, compared with DOCS Open, iManage, WORLDOX, and other document management systems (or groupware-type systems, such as Lotus Notes and Novell Groupwise).

Question: Is the behavior when opening this document different than if you open it using a browser from another web server (simply running IIS, for example)? Can you test that in your environment? Just trying to determine whether it is a generic issue with documents opened from a web server or specific to SharePoint.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,
    Thanks for your interest, I do really appreciate it. using TechNet for SharePoint has not given me any solutions yet. woody's is better.

My case:

Opening a document in SharePoint with a browser, using a http-address in Internet Explorer, results in a tempfile shown in Word as: "Document in Microsoft Internet Explorer - Microsift Word".
    Then VB does not start.

Opening a document in SharePoint using Windows Explorer results in the following:
    Choosing to open the Document in ReadOnly modus results in getting the document in Word as readOnly, as usual, and in addition VB starts and is placed in the background of the screen.
    If the document is not ReadOnly before I open it, VB will not start.

See also my attached document.

My spontaneous conclusion is that it is due to a setting in Word. Word sometimes like to be clever and assumes I will use VB since I have used very much earlier.
    Even if this might be an intelligent assumption from Word it must be possible to switch off that "intelligence" in Word, Registry or where ever.

An example of such a setting in the registry is that one can set Word to open the file as the real file. (though this setting may not be controlled by any "intelligence")
    As I showed in the earlier post:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Classes/Word.Document.8 called BrowserFlag can be set to a (=10) and then the document opens as a normal file from SharePoint (or another a browser) but still no macros will start when opening the file.

Please ask me more if my explanations are no good.

Hope for solution to this problem.

Regards
    Bjorn

Thanks

Hmm, you can open documents from SharePoint in Windows Explorer? How does it appear - as a web folder, as a drive, as a network share?

What do your AutoOpen macros do? Is there any reason that they would enter Debug mode without user intervention? For example, could they be going down a branch of code sensitive to whether the document is read only that contains a Stop command?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It is different opening the file from Windows Explorer(WE) and from Internet Explorer(IE).

WE opens the document and the Document_Open macro starts. This macro collects a version number from SharePoint and places this in a custom property and then is shown on the document.

IE opens the file as a temp file, named "Document in Internet Explorer - Microsoft Word". The procedure Document_Open (or AutoOpen) starts and file is not the latest version for the document. See my earlier attachments.

The Document_Open procedure contains code to collect the version number from the file's properties, generated by SharePoint. Other properties as last saved date and file path are collected as well.

I have attached a zip file of a template that a file/document stored in SharePoint have been made from.
    VB opens when a file is based on a template other than normal.dot. This only happens when I use Office XP not Office 2000 together with SharePoint.

Well I hope to get som more clue to be able to solve my problem.

Bjorn

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The problem: VBA starting when two Word documents where opened from SharePoint using Windows Explorer is solved with a Hot-fix for Office XP from Microsoft.

Got this knowledge by simply making a telephone call to Microsoft Support and they odrered a Hot-fix to be sent me from their support group.

Regards
    Bj

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bjorn,
    I am not familiar with SharePoint at all but FWIW: I opened both of your attachments and in each case VB opened - it would appear that Word is looking for a template that of course does not exist on my system here at home (Win-Ofc XP). Do you by chance have any of the Auto-Format As You Type Options - in particular, automatically update enabled? Also check out your macro security settings (Tools, Macro, Security).

P.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi P.

Thanks for your info and interest. I'm sorry for a late reply but I have had a lot do do urgently to solve problems using SharePoint and Office XP.

The problem I announced here have though been solved after I contacted a Microsoft Support group in Norway and got them to search for this annoying behaviour and they came up with a Hot-fix. Also for the case that an AutoOpen macro does not start when Checking-in and - out (SharePoint concepts).
    Still there are similar problems with opening a document containing an AutoOpen maacro.

To everybody:
    Generaly:
    A serious problem is that it is so very difficult to search TechNet for such behaviour/faults in order to find a solution. Using this Newsgroup is mostly very efficient, but in this case it has not given me any solutions to the problem. May be the reason is that it occurs when I use two Applications that are supposed to cooperate, according to Microsoft, and there are bugs in the cooperation due to a "fault" in one of them.

I appreciate hearing from people reading these posts!

Regards
    Bjorn

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    and thanks for answers.
    Please see my last answer to the lkast reply to my post.

I realy do Appreciate this Newsgroup and look forward to use it and hopefulle contribute now and then.

regards
    Bjorn

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    and thanks for answers.
    Please see my last answer to the last reply to my post.

I realy do Appreciate this Newsgroup and look forward to use it and hopefulle contribute now and then.

My AutoOpen macro is used to collect the version number from SharePoint when I open the document. Since this is a functionallity in SharePoint I would expect that it should not give me problems using such a good function.

Have a nice day!

regards
    Bjorn