New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Movie Maker 2 (XP SR1)

Hi

I've downloaded the beta version of Microsoft Windows Movie Maker 2 and run the setup file, the install goes as far as an error dialog box which reports

Advanced INF Install
    INF install failure. Reason: An extended error has occured.

Clicking ok get me another dialog box which informs me that Windows Movie Maker has installed successfully, but running Movie Maker just returns a message which says Error

As Microsoft provides no support for the beta version I wonder if anyone has any suggestions

Regards

Kelvin

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows Movie Maker 2 (XP SR1)

Kelvin:
    <UL><LI>are you installing as an administrator?
    <LI>Have you run CHKDSK to rule out disk errors?
    <LI>Are you installing from the hard drive? If so, download the install file and try again.
    <LI>Have you removed and reinstalled Movie Maker, preferably in a different location?
    <LI>When you run Movie Maker, what, specifically is the error message?[/list]My guess is that you have a corrupt INF file that it is trying to read, or a permissions probleml with that file.
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows Movie Maker 2 (XP SR1)

Thanks for your responce Mark

In answer to your questions

I am installing as an administrator
    There are no disk errors
    I have installed from the downloaded file on my C: drive, I have also instead of downloading and running the setup file, run setup from the Microsoft site (I know this downloads to a temp dir then installs)
    because Movie Maker is a beta program there is no way to uninstall (they recomend you make a restore point before the install which sadly I did not do)

and finally the error message when running is a strange looking small dialog box which simple says error in the header bit and an ok button which on clearing comes up again with the error box before closing down on clicking ok

Regards

Kelvin