2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is there a quick way to... (2K SR-1, 2002)

enter data in Excel and have it easily convert to different values right away?

I need my users to enter a bunch of data in a SQL database.
    This database has an Access front-end which was set up for us by a vendor.
    We're having multiple problems with the front-end and I would like my users to just be able to send me their data in via Excel so I can get it in there quickly
    Is there a nice way for them to be able to type this info in and yet have Excel re-interpret the data?
    For example, they'll want to select or enter a class "Beginning Excel 2000", but the database wants the Class ID number "14".

Thanks!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Is there a quick way to... (2K SR-1, 2002)

The answer is probably yes. In the brief example you gave, you could set up a table of class names and ID numbers on one worksheet. Then in the sheet where the user is entering the data, you could use Data Valadation to let the user select the Class name from a drop down list that is filled from the names in the Class Name column in that table. Then in the column where you want the Class ID you could have a formula that looks up the Class Name in the Table and inserts the ID. Depending on how much of this you have to do, it could be a lot of work.
    Legare Coleman

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Is there a quick way to... (2K SR-1, 2002)

Hi Angela,

It might be possible for you to use the Worksheet_Change event with appropriate code to do the desired conversion on entry. I have used it for the easy entry of times without the need for colons most successfully.

Check Chip Pearson's site at:

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm

You would just need to code in your desired changes as Case statements, and you could even easily include some validation on the spot!

Good Luck,

Peter Moran
    Two heads are always better than one!.