2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

formatting changes automatically (Office XP)

I'm posting this on behalf of another teacher from another school who has this problem:

We are currently running MS Office XP on a new Compaq computer. In the last
    couple of weeks every time we apply formatting to a line of text in Word the
    formatting copies to every other line in the document. I tried a few different
    fixes without any success and even uninstalled and reinstalled MS Office. We
    still have the same problem on just this one computer

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: formatting changes automatically (Office XP)

It sounds like that you have a style in your template (probably Normal style in the Normal.dot template) that is set to automatically update any time you change the formatting. To fix this, you need to go into Format, Styles and under Styles select Normal, then click on Modify and uncheck Automatically Update. Now click on OK and Close and this problem should go away. If I am not mistaken, Word XP sets the Automatically Update as the default in Normal.dot.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: formatting changes automatically (Office XP)

thanks. I had written her earlier mentioning that it sounded like a style/update problem, but I had never even noticed the 'automatically update' option before (I checked it in Word 97 and it is there, too). I passed it on to her. my guess is it will solve her problem