New Lounger
    Thanks

Needed Updates (Office 2000)

Well I installed SP3 at the office because we receive a lot of word documents from others that we have to edit and send back. I decided we could live with the problems caused by the email security. I was wrong. We all hate the email security, and I am going to have to uninstall Office and reinstall it to get rid of this beast.

Here is my question.
    If I want to download the individual updates for office that are included in sp2 and sp3, is there a non-redundant list somewhere. I checked the office update site and started downloading the packets listed in the bulletins but found several were duplicates. THere are maybe 20 patches or so that are rolled up into these two updates.

or as another option, I have Outlook 98 on CD. Perhaps I should just not install Outlook, 2000 when I reinstall office and then install Outlook 98 instead. Does any one know of any problems with that.? We use Net folders, but there are other options for that.

This is basically a peer to peer network even though we have a 2000 Domain server. We don't have Exchange Server.
    In short, I guess I need to know what is the most secure way to run office without having to install SP2 or SP3

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Needed Updates (Office 2000)

Consider to use Ken Slovak's Attachment Options Utility instead of uninstalling SP3.

BTW, using Outlook 98 is a bad decision because it lacks latest patches.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to both ideas. I had seen these and similar utilities, and have written the registry hacks outlined by Microsoft. However, they do not solve our problem. The issue is that it is taking almost twice as long to deal with email because of the multiple clicks involved in saving, navigating to the saved file and opening the file. What we want is a way to open the attachment directly in Outlook as we did before this update.
    At the least MS should allow you to have a open or save dialog box available. I can understand administrators in many settings wanting to enforce the big brotherish, draconian measure that the update employs, but I would appreciate being allowed to be responsible for my own choices. (ok off my soapbox now). Is there anyway short of uninstalling office to get back to opening an attachment directly in Outlook?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I have the settings set (using Detach) to allow these files to be down loaded. I also have the settings set to "asked" before opening or saving. This is controlled in the settings in "Windows Explorer" and the Tools, Folder Options, and then the 'View Types' tab. Under each file type, there is a "Advance" button, make sure that the check mark in the "Conform...." box.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi,
    <hr>Is there anyway short of uninstalling office to get back to opening an attachment directly in Outlook? <hr>
    I'm not sure if this works, but you could try uninstalling just Outlook and then reinstalling the original/SR1a version. If that doesn't work on its own, you might need to delete some of the files modified by the SP2/SR3 patches in between doing the uninstall and reinstall. You may be able to identify these via System File Checker (W98) or its equivalent in other OSs, or maybe there's a list somewhere.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks

I thought SP3 added the option to change the file extensions on the "dangerous" list. No???