Star Lounger
    Thanks

Customize toolbar to remove the File/New icon (2000)

When I try to remove the 'File / New' icon on the far left of the toolbar, using 'Customize', it pops back up again. I want to replace it completely with 'File / New...' (to bring up the templates dialog every time), but the darned thing won't leave the toolbar no matter how unwelcome I try to make it! Anyone know if it's possible to remove the default 'File / New'?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Customize toolbar to remove the File/New icon (2000)

Andrew:

First, you should be able to remove the icon by holding hold down your Alt key and dragging the icon off the tool bar.

Second, to open up the templates, you need to select FileNewDialog from the All Commands list and drag it to the toolbar. It will show the cryptic reference "Other..." on the icon. If you right click on the icon, you can change the "Name" by deleting the name and typing in a descriptive name (or, to leave it blank, just put in a space). In addition, you can Change Button Image, which will give a choice of several images to include on the button.

Hope this is the solution you are looking for.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Den,

The toolbar you are tring to alter is in the Normal template, you may have it set so that changes are not saved? I find it's a good idea to create my own toolbars even if they are similar to the delivered ones and I always remove the File, New and replace with File New... This is what I do:

1. View, Toolbars, Customise, Toolbars, New. Give it a meaningful name and assuming that you want it available all the time leave it available to Normal.dot (you can get more sophisticated later, as it is really better practice to leave Normal alone and create your own templates)
    2. The toolbar will appear somewhere in your Word window and you can now populate it.
    3. To add what you want select the Commands tab - you are still in the Customise Toolbars dialogue
    4. In the left Pane you will see a list of the Menus, highlighting each will vary the contents of the right Pane, highlight File on the left
    5. Drag the FileNew... icon to the toolbar, you will see it is confusingly the same icon as the other File New, you can check that you have dragged the right command by right clicking the icon and chacking the name, it should say &New...
    6. I change the icon to add the dots, you do this by right clicking the icon (still in the Customise Toolbares dialogue), select Edit Button Image, I make the "page a little narrower, mover it over and add two 2*2 dots
    7. Exit everything and you're done

Obviously you can locate the toolbar where you want and add other things to it in the same manner, I have some highly customised and productive toolbvars to help me and they are invaluable, another standard thing that's useful to add is Find & Replace, and also Print what

Hope this helps

liz

Thanks

On top of all that, if you have global templates loading, Word will "merge" the toolbars from the global template with the ones in Normal and the document's attached template. Try opening the other templates for editing and deselecting all the toolbars or customizing the Standard toolbar. Good idea to save backups first in case the cure ends up being worse than the disease.