Star Lounger
    Thanks

IIS Lockdown tool

Id have to file this under "user error" [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I run IIS on my XP Pro SP1 laptop, so I can test/run websites with FP2k2 and use InterDev to write/test .asp scripts, without having to mess about on a "live" server. Other than that, I really don't need it.

I was doing some Windows Update hotfix patching last week and came across the IIS lockdown tool. I ran it and specified the "role" of the server as an ASP server. Everything seemed to be fine. Yesterday, I fired up INterDev (VS6.0 version) and when I tried to create a new .asp page, it popped up a dialog asking me to authenticate, but it wouldn't accept my password. it was asking me for computernameMark but that was it. It wouldnt accept the password in any case, I even tried blank, and an old password too but no dice. I uninstalled IIS and reinstalled it, didnt help. I uninstalled, deleted the inetpub folder and reinstalled and let it recreate the folder, still nothing. It wont let me connect to the root web at all.

I dug around in the KB and found an article pertaining to troubleshooting it and it told me where there was a logfile and I opened it in notepad and saw that it had set all permissions to DENY, even the .asp files that I had recently created. I ran the tool again to remove the IIS lockdown tool, thinking maybe it would re-set the permissions, and it didn't seem to help. This morning, with some aid from the KB again, I was poking around in the IIS MMC, and could not find the permissions wizard that the KB was talking about under All Tasks. as I was poking around, I changed a few properties as far as permissions go, for the root web, and now I cant even connect to it at all.

I think I probably did more damage than good this morning, as now the whole mess is inoperable. Im about to uninstall and reinstall IIS again, but I dont think that will help, as there are permissions set somewhere that I dont know about and/or cant seem to find, and Im worried that now there are registry keys that are completely forbidding me to access the web server at all. The only next step I can think about is to reinstall windows, but Im really hesitant to do that, because it would take a heck of a long time to back everything up, reinstall and then start re-installing all the apps I use, and im BOUND to forget SOMETHING and lose it.

Does anyone have any ideas where I can go from here, or is it just easier in the grander scheme of things to start from scratch with a fresh install and spend a few days downloading and installing service packs and patches and re-installing apps? [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks in advance
    Mark

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IIS Lockdown tool

do you use system restore and does it go back before the updates were installed? if so, just roll back to before you used the tool.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IIS Lockdown tool

Ahhhh. you know, probably. but it's too late. [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

There were a few other niggling things, and I think my registery was just really bloate, AND it forced me to organize/cleanup/streamline and backup my settings and documents, so I re-installed windows on a clean partition, and I've been installing service packs and hotfixes and apps ever since.

Ran into a new one now, though... it's addressed in KB Article 297920 but I checked the permissions and they all check out, "SYSTEM" group has full control, so that sort of invalidates the 3 "causes" listed in the KB article.

ALl is well now, and the machine is running much smoother and faster, and Im going to give it a week with the "new" XP start menu to get used to it before saying "it sucks" and changing it back to Classic [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

OH and as soon as I get my "core" apps re-installed, im going to set a system restore point [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]