3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Migrate FirstClass Files (OL2000)

We migrated from FirstClass to Exchange/Outlook last year. Lots of folks still have messages from FirstClass saved and would like to migrate them to Outlook or save this information as Word docs. At the time of the migration we were given an 18 page instruction on how to accomplish the migration from FirstClass to Outlook. This procedure did not work very well, if at all, and as such many people still have their FirstClass messages with no way to get to the information.

The procedure involved:
    * reconfiguring Outlook from Corporate to Internet Only
    * mapping Outlook to the FirstClass server
    * in Outlook Tools/IMAP Folders ~ Query - Subscribe - Download the various FirstClass folders
    * create local folders and copy the downloaded FirstClass data into them
    * reconfiguring Outlook from Internet Only back to Corporate

This was to be done on each and every users computer. On the few that we tried it on most of the time when we were back in Outlook (Corporate configuration) the FirstClass information that we moved was empty. The header information was all that came across (To/From/Subject), the body of the message was lost in the ether.

Surely there is an easier way to accomplish this?

Thanks

Re: Migrate FirstClass Files (OL2000)

I think you have several different options.

First, you might be able to use the Exchange Server deployment tools and wizards to load the IMAP mailboxes into your server-based data store. This is far beyond my expertise (we don't run Exchange).

Second, you could have users use Outlook Express as their IMAP client for the old folders. This would not in itself put the messages into a local folder, but it would be far less disruptive to your Outlook installations.

Third, you could investigate commercial IMAP-to-Outlook/Exchange migration tools. Slipstick.com might list some.

Fourth, you could use an IMAP programming toolkit to build a custom import routine (e.g., as a COM Add-in for Outlook or a one-time batch program). I looked a bit with Google, and found several controls, none of which I can say with any assurance would be a good choice. (Maybe you can sell your solution to other former users of FirstClass?)
    <UL><LI>PowerTCP Mail Tool, ActiveX controls from Dart.
    <LI>IP*Works IMAP Component, ActiveX controls from /n software
    <LI>Distinct IMAP Object, ActiveX controls from Distinct[/list]Hope this helps.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Migrate FirstClass Files (OL2000)

Thank you very much for all the great information!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Migrate First Class Files (OL2000)

Maybe I am not understanding the magnitude of your problem but I currently use First Class as my e-mail program and I find saving things a word documents exceedingly easy.

First Class has a wonderful tool called Summarize Selected. When one highlights multiple messages (closed, not open) and used the Summarize Selected tool (or gets it by right clicking), First Class puts all the highlighted messages in one document. One can then just drag and drop the selected messages into Word. The summarize tool keeps all the important info from each message (sender, date, subject line, etc) with each post, it is just now in one document. One can also arrange the order of the things that are "summarized" in the new document by sorting the selected messages (last modified, first modified, sender, subject, attachment, etc) before summarizing. I love First Class (at least for e-mail) and choose not to use Outlook for e-mail because of all the viral problems associated with it.

Of course I am probably in a very different position than you are as I have a choice - First Class is my e-mail because the private intranet to which I belong (The Psychoanalytic Connection - www.psychoanalysis.net) uses the First Class Client and I choose to use it rather than having to use it.

But with all the virus protection, etc. that Centrinity has built into the First Class Client I would be loathe to switch. Since everything stays on their server, even when I am reading it, unless I choose to download it to my machine to save it I find that I have never been Klezzed or Melissaed or whatever even though I do see a whole lot of mail in my box that was Kelz, etc. infected that First Class stripped out at the server level. I do use Outlook for everything else, though.

Perhaps if you can not get all the info you need from your company contacting the guys at Centrinity themselves might help. I know they are very responsive to the needs of Connectioneers (as we call ourselves) - although the questions do go through our administrator (and only if he can not answer them).