New Lounger
    Thanks

Empty Task that requires no resource (Project 2000)

Is it possible to create a task that requires no resource but is part of your critical path. In our case we have a task that takes place at intervals throughout the day (4 times). We call it 'dose'. In between each real task is a lag time that is required before the next 'dose' takes place.

I created a task called 'lag' that takes up the time in between 'dose'. In reality the 'lag' time is a task that requires no resources since we are just waiting a required amount of time until we can do the next dose. Unfortunately, I need the 'lag' task because if I get rid of it Project tries to cram all my 'doses' together.

I haven't assigned any resources to my project yet but I'm wondering if I can filter the 'lag' task so that it is ignored or somehow assign a dummy resource that will always be assigned to 'lag' but isn't really a resource.

Any insight would be helpful.
    Thanks,
    James

Thanks

Re: Empty Task that requires no resource (Project 2000)

Instead of creating a task called lag, suggest that you link the 'dose' tasks as a start to finish with a lag built into it.

I.e., Task 1 is called Dose1. Task 2 is Dose 2 and linked to Dose 1 as a start to finish with a lag of 2 hours. This will indicate that Dose 2 can't start until two hours after Dose 1 is completed. Thus, if Dose 1 never finishes, then Dose 2 never starts. Your LAG task is really not needed.
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks,
    That seems to work well. One drawback is that in order to properly lag between repetitive doses I have to manually link the tasks in the predecessor column and include a lag time. This can be tedious when doing it 30 times in a row.

However, it appears I can create an Excel spreadsheet to concatenate the link and the lag (e.g. "46FS and 2.25h") and cut and paste that into the predecessor column. If there is a more efficient way of creating a constant lag for linked tasks please let me know.

Thanks,
    James

Thanks

I don't know of any easy way to do this without writing some code. If you have time you could try creating a macro and then modifying the code to do what you want, however, I don't know if the time to do this is worth it if you already have a workaround that is working.
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)