Star Lounger
    Thanks

Importing a UNIX csv file (Access 97 sr2)

We had an Excel application that imported a UNIX csv file, jiggled around with it and saved the spreadsheet. A separate Access application then did an importspreadsheet from the xls file, pulled in the data and did it's thing. Both of these applications were killed off at the same time and everyone was happy...

Now though they want to resurrect the Access bit, but bypassing the Excel bit. However, when ever I try to import the csv file I get an overflow message. I can open the file with PFE, uncheck the UNIX format box and Access is happy. Anyone know how to import the file?

The only option that I know of is to open the file for input and read the line into a string (being a UNIX file the line is in fact the entire file, hence the problem), split out the rows manually and either break down the columns or save to another file and input that.

The file I've added(renamed .txt from .csv) is one that I've created to simulate the problem, I'm not willing to post the original for legal reasons, but it's 10x the size.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Importing a UNIX csv file (Access 97 sr2)

try again with the file...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The easiest way is to open the file in Word or Excel and then save it from there as text file. This will replace the carriage returns with carriage return/line feed pairs, so that Access will be happy.
    This can be automated by opening a Word or Excel application object in Access.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cheers Hans,
    I hadn't considered Word for the job.
    I had considered Excel, but one of the fields has an identifying string which sometimes has a leading 0, Excel (knowing best) kindly trims the leading 0's

Alan