2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Coexistence of WORKS & Office XP? (Office XP & Works 2002)

My wife has just purchased a DELL Laptop with MS WORKS 2002 factory installed.
    She would also like to install Office XP, since she has clients that use both products.
    Will there be any conflict with the two WORDs?
    Any suggestions on how best to do this?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Coexistence of WORKS & Office XP? (Office XP & Works 2002)

I'm not sure how it's handled, but my wife's PC has that exact configuration, and she hasn't had any problems. I think in fact when Office XP is installed it sees the Works product and somehow does an install that ends up with a single copy of Word, but I can't verify that.
    Wendell

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Coexistence of WORKS & Office XP? (Office XP & Works 2002)

Our situation was only vaguely similar to that of the OP. We had Office 97 installed on a oldish Gateway 500 MHz Celeron running Windows 98SE, and wanted to run Word XP/2002, so installed WorksSuite 2002 as the cheapest way of getting it. It was probably W98SE, or insufficient grunt, but the end result was extremely flaky, with Word XP crashing a few times each day. Fortunately its document recovery is about an order of magnitude better than that of Word 97, and so we never really lost anything, apart from our tempers, frequently. WorksSuite added and changed some of the menu options in Word XP, which I didn't like.

Migrating to a new PC with XP Pro and Office XP Professional [i](here you are, Bill, have another
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...