2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Invaldi Key? (Office 2K Pro)

Last May I purchased Office 2000 Pro (yes it's the real thing and yes it was a brand new copy) and I installed it just fine. Today I wanted to instal the second CD that has MS Publisher on it but at the begining of the install it's telling me the key is invalid. This is the same key that's on my "Certificate of Authenticity" that I dutifully attached to the side of my PC as per Bill Gates' instructions back in May. I've triple checked to make sure that I entered it correctly and have tried upper and lower case many times each.
    Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong (other than actually trying to use MS Publisher)?
    Stats

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Invaldi Key? (Office 2K Pro)

The "dutifully attached to the side of my PC " is for the Windows Operating System. Check the CD case and see if there is a set of numbers for the Publisher and or Offce. I have NEVER seen any Program numbers posted on the computer case. If so it is per the OEM and NOT "Bill's" requirement.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Invaldi Key? (Office 2K Pro)

No big deal - a lot of users cannot tell Windows from Office, especially when MS uses the same version names - 2000, XP etc.

Your OFFICE Product key looks the same - 25 alphanumeric characters, but it's never attached to PC cover - it's usually attached to installation CD jewel case or buried deep inside recycling papers came with your computer. For Office 2000 Disk 2 the Product key is the same as for Office 2000 Disk 1, presumably already installed on your computer. If you cannot find the Office key, you can try to recover it using a program like Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder. (The result is not guaranteed.)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Invalid Key? (Office 2K Pro)

There was a glitch with Product Key for 2nd CD for some editions of Office 2K. It was a long while back, but I recall having to call Microsoft to obtain a valid Product Key from some low-level support 'Softie. This was described in WOW Vol 4 No 23 (4 June 1999) under "KNOWN PROBLEMS" heading:
    <hr>One of the bugs is going to trap upgrade users of Professional, Premium, Small Business or Developer packs when they try to install the second CD. That CD contains Publisher 2000, but it may not be able to detect a qualifying product for upgrade. There's no workaround for this save calling Microsoft for a different product key that, presumably, will tell the installation program to bypass the upgrade check. We wonder how many people will waste frustrating hours trying to re-install qualifying programs before giving up and complaining. To add insult to injury, you have to call Microsoft on a toll number to get help. <hr>
    Recommend check MS Microsoft Help and Support for further assistance - good luck!!

HTH