Lounger
    Thanks

Can mail be archived? (Outlook XP)

Hi,

I have many folders which I don't need anymore on a daily basis and would like to export to somewhere to archive so they're still available to me as reference. Is there any way to do this - NOT putting them somewhere else in the PST file? What I'd REALLY like, is to be able to view them with Quick View Plus or a similar program.

Thanks and hello from Germany.

Randy

Thanks

Re: Can mail be archived? (Outlook XP)

What I do is to create additional .pst files which I "archive" by year.

File > Data File Management >
    takes you to the screen below. Click Add and create a new .pst named whatever is convenient for you. (I name mine by year.)
    This will give you a new set of folders viewable in the folder list where you can create sub-folders as necessary and to which you could drag your archive items.
    From the same window, selecting Remove simply prevents it from being loaded the next time you start Outlook, it doesn't delete it. To view it again you simply select Add again, and select it from the listing offered.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.gif (7.9 KB, 0 views)

Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, Leif, but that's not exactly what I was looking for (I don't think). It's still basically in my PST file which I'd really like to make smaller. What I just might have to do is save the present PST file somewhere, then delete everything I DON'T want to archive, save the new PST somewhere for reference when I need it, and reload the present file I saved. TiTs just too darn complicated and not at all convenient.

I gather there's no "official" way to save this outside of Outlook without having to trick the program itself.

Greetings,
    Randy

Thanks

Maybe I'm not quite following you but:
    Say you start off with a 100Mb .pst.
    You create another (empty) archive .pst.
    You move all the stuff you want to archive into the new one - say 80Mb's worth, and close it.
    Your original .pst is now 20Mb

Yes - together the two .pst's are still taking up 100Mb on your HD, but Outlook will only be opening up the 20Mb .pst when you start it. If you ever want to review any of the archived stuff, it is just a few clicks away and you'll be able to view the archived items in their original format.

Thanks

Another thought would be to use ExLife from Ornic, which (among other things) allows you to:

Save message - it saves message body to a defined directory with a unique filename (either based on subject + time or on random number). The text file format might be either plain or RTF.

This would strip all formatting and header info and leave a simple .txt file that is a simple double-click away from viewing in Notepad.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Maybe not what you want - but there is a perfectly good 'File > save-as' command which can save items as either HTML or TXT files.
    You can save either one message, or a group of items into a single file.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

ExLife is not what I want since there's a lot of HTML in my files. My regular mail, incoming as well as outgoing, always gets saved as a DOC file immediately. Those files are all nicely saved away according to years on a CD and are readily accessible. I do a lot of stuff on eBay and that's the problem here. Sometimes, between potential buyers asking questions, the mail from eBay itself whatever follows, there could be fifteen files for a single transaction. At the moment I have a sub-folder called "finished" with 200 folders in it (each one a transaction), and each with 5-20 files in it.

Do I NEED them? Presumably not. Might I need one? Maybe. In this day and age storage space is no longer a problem anymore but I just like to keep files as small as possible. It's difficult for anything to slow my 2.4 gHz P4 down, but nevertheless, programs open quicker and perform faster when they have less baggage.

I'll try your first suggestion but before I do that let me be lazy and ask before I shoot. The way you explained it a whole new PST file is made. Is that correct? If so, I could theoretically store that on a CD somewhere as well. Is that so? If that's the case I'll definitely go for it. Tomorrow is Sunday (full backup day) and after that I can try anything without risk.

Thanks.

Randy

Star Lounger
    Thanks

re ... "The way you explained it a whole new PST file is made. Is that correct?"

Yes

re ... "If so, I could theoretically store that on a CD somewhere as well. Is that so?"

Yes.

As Lief has explained, this is the way to go. Very simple.

David

Thanks

>>The way you explained it a whole new PST file is made. Is that correct? If so, I could theoretically store that on a CD somewhere as well. Is that so?

Absolutely!
    The one thing to remember is that anything stored on a CD will automatically be Read-Only - even if you copy it back to your HD - and OL will object to that. To load it, copy to your HD, in explorer right_mouse > properties and remove the Read-Only option.

Lounger
    Thanks

Okay, did it, and it works beautifully. With about 250 less folders in it Outlook seems to be much sharper in its operation. I'll leave the new PST file on the hard drive as well so it's readily accessible.

Thanks very much for all your help.

Happy holidays.

Randy