New Lounger
    Thanks

Favorite Folder Location

I want to uninstall IE5 to rid it of the @Home changes that slow it down. There is no way to do this automatically because of corruption, it says. I would like to save my favorites, and then delete the IE5 folder on the hard disk and begin again with a fresh copy. What is the Favorites folder(s) in IE5?

Steve

eyersworld@home.com

Thanks

Re: Favorite Folder Location

Check c:windowsfavorites

If that doesn't match, check for user-specific paths in

c:windowslocal settings...

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Steve:

On my Win98SE, standalone, the folder is in the primary hard drive; i.e. C:WindowsFavorites as Jefferson said. However, just deleting the IE folder doesn't delete all the registry entries.

What happens when you try to uninstall it through Control Panel/Add/Remove Programs? You can't uninstall it unless there is a previous configuration that you've saved.

See <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q222/5/64.ASP>this</A> article.

Hope this helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, problem is solved by brute force, not by sophistication.

When I try to uninstall, I get a box to add, or to repair,
    and when I click repair, it says it is corrupted and can't do anything.
    I removed the IE5 folder after assuring myself the favorites were elsewhere, and then it wouldn't download anything from the Microsoft site (I used Netscape which had Java errors). I then downloaded the newest Netscape, and got nowhere again, although the javascript errors disappeared. Evidently the microsoft site couldn't tell the IE5 file folder was gone and refused to download.)

I finally found some IE5 exe files inside the computer and reinstalled from there. That re-added the folder, and then microsoft recognized the installation, and would let me add the latest IE5 version from the site.

Whew.

Thanks your help.

Steve