New Lounger
    Thanks

Computer doesn't realize it's online (Win XP Pro Ver 2002)

At home I connect to the net via cable modem; at the office I connect via T-1/Lan. I'm running XP Pro, IE 6, Office XP.

1. Occasionally, when I visit a website, I get an error saying my computer is offline, "work offline, try again." When I click "try again" I always connect.

2. Frequently, in Outlook XP, when checking mail, I get an error saying it can't connect with the server. Trying again usually works.

3. Outlook XP has a very cool feature that allows you to test your e-mail settings. But I get a message saying "unable to establish a connection to the Internet."

On the other hand:

4. AOL Instant Messenger and Yahoo Messenger appear to function normally without interruption.

5. Listening to streaming audio, such as Internet radio, functions normally.

Any and all suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

- Jonathan Lehrer
    j@jlehrer.com

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Computer doesn't realize it's online (Win XP Pro Ver 2002)

I have the same problem, most irritating occurences is the "ended non-responsive program please notify Microsoft", which always fails because it insists I am not online, but most urgent one is that I can't get AV updates because the prog insists there is no connection available, even though I am happily browsing away in IE. I thought it might be a Zone Alarm issue, but I still get the same problem with ZA disabled. I have also tried switching IE to "work offline", then back again in the hope that might reset something, but no luck. I suspect there is a corrupt registry entry somewhere but don't have any good idea where to look - anybody got any ideas?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Well I personally do not have this problem but I have run into this on several machines in the past. Generally I have gone into Internet options then click on the connections tab and re-run the internet setup wizard and make sure I select Connect Using A Broadband connection that is always on. About 95% of the time this does fix the issue.

Hope this helps
    Conan

New Lounger
    Thanks

Nice try, but didn't work. It did inspire me to try a few other things though such as repairing the connection. The repair failed "unable to flush ARP cache", so I had a look at the ARP cache (ARP -a from the command line), and noticed that the IP address of the connector was showing as 0.0.0.0, although IPConfig showed it correctly. Speculating that this might be part of the problem I renewed the DHCP lease, and lo and behold it showed up properly in ARP and I can now connect using the AV program. Still can't repair the connection, but I have not yet rebooted. Looks like the problem is something to do with communication between DHCP and ARP, but I am now at the outer reaches of my network knowledge so will settle for having a solution and hope that someone more capable can come up with a reason. For the sake of completeness for anyone who doesn't know, from the command prompt type IPCONFIG /renew (I also used IPCONFIG /registerdns), then ARP -a to check whether the ARP cache is showing the adapter IP properly.