Thanks

Newsgroup downloads (OE5.5)

I am trying to get up to speed on using OE for newsgroups -- in fact, using newsgroups all together...

I have been having problems with searches...

Assuming I add a newsgroup to my folder list, should I download all messages, headers etc for any period I might have need of?

I went to do a search, and couldn't find the message(s) I was looking for... because I hadn't d/l enough of the posts... but when I went to d/l all, there were tens of thousands...

How should I configure OE to allow broad searches (broad in time frame) without having to d/l all messages?
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks

Re: Newsgroup downloads (OE5.5)

Usenet news (newsgroup) messages are not kept for long; the actual period might be determined by the server you are connecting to rather than some Internet-wide standard. The need for access to old posts inspired the DejaNews site. Deja tried to become an e-commerce company and no longer exists, but Google hosts some or all of itsold information, as well as archives of more recent posts, in its "Groups" section: http://groups.google.com/.

Thanks

Re: Newsgroup downloads (OE5.5)

jscher2000 (Jefferson):

Sorry for the delay getting back... thanks for the info... I'll check out those avenues...

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"