Star Lounger
    Thanks

xp pro over xphome (2002 sp1)

Running xp home on MEdion, md 8000, titanium,2.66ghz with 120 seagate hd. Can I install xppro over the top of xp home. three partitions on hd, C Boot,60 gig D, Backup with drivers, tools, etc, 50 Gig, and E recover 6 gig:It came with the three partitions and the drive is more than I need. Advantages/disadvantages to changing. Maybe I should leave well enough alone. Some programs that require a key donot run on xp home.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: xp pro over xphome (2002 sp1)

Yes, you should be able to run XP's setup program and perform what is called an "in-place upgrade" to Pro. It's a one way street, though, so if you want to revert to Home edition you'll be formatting and re-installing (assuming that you don't make an image of the disk first). I can't think of any disadvantages, personally. By and large Pro just adds some things that were left out of the Home edition, mostly networking and power user stuff.

What do you mean "some programs that require a key do not run on XP home?" I'm afraid that statement is vague at best. Can you provide some specifics??
    -Mark