3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Following Paragraph Glitch? (W97)

I have a template that I've created (the bare bones example attached).
    Question #1. I have a style that is greyed out and has strikethrough properties. The "following Paragraph" is set to a different style. When my cursor is at the end of the row and I hit RETURN, I would expect the "following Paragraph" style to kick in. BUT, while the style box says the correct style, it will continue to type the previous style. If I hit return, take the focus off by click elsewhere on the document and return, it will use the correct style.

Question #2. If I place my cursor at the end of the line with the style "retired requirement" (50% grey/strikethrough) and hit enter, the auto numbers change size and drop the strikethrough, why would this be?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Following Paragraph Glitch? (W97)

I don't know why this is happening, but what you describe doesn't always happen. If you apply the style "retired requirement" and just use that style, then the next para correctly goes to H2 and displays correctly. The problem only occurs when you apply the style "retired requirement" then change the font formatting of the text in that end of the para away from the style. In your example you change to superscript. Perhaps you could try creating a character style for the text you want to be different from the para style you have applied.
    Regards
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I can't reproduce the phenomenon you mention in Question #1 (I use Word 97 SR2).

About Question #2: In addition to John's remarks: the format used for numbering is the format of the paragraph mark. If you have extra formatting applied to the paragraph mark (whether it be manual formatting or a character style), the numbering will take on that format. You can get rid of this by selecting the paragraph mark and removing the extra formatting by typing Ctrl+Space.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Musical (are you?)

I think the problem is a combination of direct formatting and superscript.

I suggest that you create a Character style in which you define the font as superscript and nothing else.
    Then use the Retired Requirement style for the paragraph type everything including the date. Highligh the data and apply your new Retirement Date style. On hitting return it should work (it did for me). Why your numbering is superscripting on return is a mystery as your pragraph mark is not formatted as superscripted... if the solution works it's not worth exploring.

On word of warning, be careful as you create your new Retirement date style, you may find depending where your cursor is or if any text is highlighted that you get a number of greyed check boxes, you don't want this you want to see a black ticked superscript check box only. In the case of it not being right start again from scratch, it took me several goes.

I have a question is did you mean the Retired Requirement style to have a short code associated with it of H2, this would normally be used for Heading 2, I don''t think it makes a difference other than if you have users used to using H2 to get to Heading 2 rather than your style

Hope this helps,

liz

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans, your suggestion for CTRL+Space worked. Actually, the content is part of a macro that alters the text from a heading level to a retired heading and inserts the date at the end. By inserting the CTRL+space at the end of the maco, it actually fixed both problems.... don't know, but not going to ask.... it's fixed [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] THANKS!