5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Filter by Form (97 SR2)

I have a form with a subform. When I want to use Filter by Form I get a form that is completely blank except for the name Ward in one subform field. I can delete Ward, enter the mainform field data and get the correct filtered results. However, when I try another filter later on this same form, Ward is back! If I close Access and reopen it, then try the filter again, Ward is back. How do I get rid of him permanently? I have checked the queries underlying the main and subforms and there is no Ward in any criteria. Where is he hiding?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Filter by Form (97 SR2)

Do you have an entry for Ward in the underlying table? I've seen fields come up with data like this in a filter-by-form both in the parent form and in the subform when filters had been entered and saved in the design view.
    Charlotte

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Things to try:

1. Open the subform in design view. Activate the Properties window. Check the Filter property (in the Data tab). If it's non-empty, clear it.

2. Open the table or query underlying the subform in design view. Activate the Properties window; for a query make sure that the query properties are being displayed. Check the Filter property; if it's non-empty, clear it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bravo Hans.
    The Filter property of the subform was set to "Ward". This was a legitimate filter field ages ago. I'm curious why it stayed around even after the field was cleared and the whole filter was cleared. Does Access remember them until a new non-blank entry is made?
    Thanks again.
    Howard

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Howard,

Yes, Access stores the last filter used for a form, even when the filter is turned off. When you set a filter for a table or query, Access asks whether you want to save design changes when you close the table/query, but for forms and reports Access doesn't ask for confirmation, it just saves the object.