Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused Router

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Confused Router

Any ideas why a Linksys Router would become confused and need reset. This is the first time in over a year that this happened. I could not access anything on the Internet until I read in the Linksys manual about briefly pushing the reset button. Everything appears to be OK again but I would just like to know if it was something that could have been avoided.

Thanks.
    H Lewton

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Confused Router

Don't think so. I don't know what model you have - I have BEFSR41 the four-port router/switch. I'm not alone either - I've read lots on the 'net about this problem. Mine just decides periodically to quit working on me and I was going through the reset or powerdown stuff too. A couple of months ago, I decided to just try accessing the router, via the usual browser call. While there, I "changed" one of the router's settings and immediately changed it back and exited. Suddenly, the failure was gone. Who knows.....

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Have you updated the firmware? I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by "confused." Rebooting does not solve this problem? You're sure it's the router, is what I am getting at here. The latest firmware updates have a nice installer that will run automatically, little to no intervention needed.

I had flaky connections with the BEFSR-41 model out of the box, and a firware update solved that problem. Strangely enough, it only seemed to happen on one workstation, and none of the others connected directly to the router experienced these dropouts.
    -Mark

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Al,

What does [b]
    H Lewton

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It's how you monkey with the router - you type its IP address into your browser, don't you, when you want to make changes to the settings? Or do you?

Mark: I've made two firmware upgrades to mine and still occasionally have it act up. I'm about to make my third because of that security thing they just wrote about. And in my case, rebooting the PC does nothing, for it's the router that has a connectivity problem, not the PC. I guess we're all talking about the same thing here.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Mark,

I have the same model number router BEFSR41 V.2 and rebooting the computer does not fix it. Or did you mean powering down the router? I didn
    H Lewton

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

By rebooting, yes, I meant the router itself. Sorry, I should have been clearer. It's not a true "reboot" in the sense of Windows, all you do is yank the power for 30-60 seconds and then power back up. You'll probably need to obtain a new IP for each computer that is connected as well.

The firmware updates have been made substantially easier, and I'd agree that the first iterations of their updates were less than friendly. As Al noted, there have been security fixes in recent updates so it's well worth the effort to obtain and install them.
    -Mark

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Al or Mark,

Was just out to the firmware site and downloaded the version that said [b]
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Mark,

You'll probably need to obtain a new IP for each computer that is connected as well. I
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Al,

I have never made changes to the router. Didn't know anything about that.
    H Lewton

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

It's still going to be automatic. What happens in the background as you plug computers into the router is that the router, which presents one single IP address to the outside world, performs Network Address Translation (NAT) and dynamically assigns a different IP address to each computer connected to its ports. When you start one of the computers that are attached, they request a lease for an IP address, and the Router in turn responds with a number that it has in a pool. In this manner each computer has its own IP address on your LAN, or internal network, behind the router. The WAN, or network on the other side of the router, sees one IP address.

When you power down and reset the router with the connected computers still on, it may not assign the same IP address to them. Since your computer is blissfully unaware that the lease provider, the router, has gone offline and comes back on, it continues to hold on to the same IP address it obtained when it was first started. There are two good ways to obtain a new IP address:
    1. <LI>Go to a command prompt (Start - Run - CMD) and enter IPCONFIG /RENEW. This will force Windows to obtain a newly leased IP address.
      <LI>Download WNTIPCFG from Microsoft's website and install it. It will give you a nice graphical interface for accomplishing the same thing as the first option. The Windows NT IPConfig Utility is operable under all versions of NT, including XP.
    Hope that helps,
    -Mark

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Mark,

Thanks and yes that helped a lot. I think I
    H Lewton

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

<blockquote><hr>I think I
    -Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

No, I don't THINK you want the one with ZoneAlarm support, or at least you don't need it. When I went after 1.44 firmware, I clicked on this line:

"Click here to start downloading the new firmware for windows users."

I'm not sure it will matter though, 'cause when I updated to 1.43 about a month ago, I was able to un-check the ZoneAlarm and PCCillin options. (See attached) I thought I read somewhere on their site that they had removed ZA and PCC, so that's why I chose the download link I did.

Regarding Mark's comment, I think if you used DHCP, and your LAN PCs are already set to DHCP, then you DON'T have to worry about IP numbers. The only trouble I had with the firmware update was that I tried to change the default IP address of the router. The firmware assumes 192.168.1.1 and I wanted to change that. Every time I did, I couldn't get back into the router and ended up having to reset a few times as I tried. So, I gave in and just let it use the default, put in my ISP's numbers and away I went. Keep us posted.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Mark,

Thanks. That is why I backed out and didn't install it. I thought it might be OK since Win 2000 was mentioned but wasn't sure.
    H Lewton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast