2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Extremely Sloooow Save

I have a Word document created originally in Word 97. since then we have upgraded all our PCs to Word 2000 (o/s is NT4). The document has been amended under Word 2000. It is 73 pages in total and it has a number of tables, graphs and pictures inserted, but no links. The document takes an age to save, 5 minutes plus, the document itself is just over 7Mb. I have divided the document into small sections 10 pages, 20 pages etc. and saved each one in turn but it still takes at least three minutes to save even these small sections. I have tried saving both locally and to network shares. I have saved the doc as RTF format (file size ended up 411Mb!!), saved dual format, saved with Word 2000 features suppressed, I have removed graphics and tables all to no avail Does anyone have any idea
    a) What is wrong with the document?
    [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] How I can reduce the file save time?

This is a critical business document lots of work has gone into it and we do not have the time to recreate it from scratch.
    All help much appreciated.

Regards

John

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Extremely Sloooow Save

> we do not have the time to recreate it from scratch.

If the SaveTime remains at 5+ minutes you'll soon feel that you have time to experiment.

What happens when you create a new document, choose Insert, File and grab the monster file and then File, Save the new document? Does it take 5 minutes or 13 seconds?

I recently had an experience where a client was emailing me a two-page document that was 20Meg in size ("The email has been runnihg for two hours; you should have it shortly"). In desperation I drove over there and PKZipped the 20 images and brought them back. Word is strange.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have tried selecting the whole document and copying and pasting it into a new doc,in the past this has solved a number of problems for me, but in this instance it just ain't playing ball.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Sure, but what happens when you Insert, File and then File, Save?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is the file in question local to you pc?

If not what happens when it is saved locally?

Bob_D

cacline1972

One thing you might want to rule out is whether the Journal feature of Outlook is turned on for Word.

I know that slowed down Save times a lot in past experiences.

Click Tools | Options... and click on Journal Options. Make sure Word (and other apps) are NOT checked.

Hope this helps.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I will make a few suggestions:

1- Turn off your virus protection software and try saving the file to see what difference that might make. If it makes a big difference, check with the vendor to see if there are any settings that might need to be changed.

2- If you haven't already, and if you don't absolutely have to have it, turn off Office's Fast Find feature. It is not likely that it is causing this problem, but it does cause a lot of performance problems and I wouldn't put out of the relm of possibilities.

3- Check to make sure that Outlook's journaling feature (even if you don't use Outlook) is not turned on for Word files (or anything else for that matter if you don't absolutely have to have it).

4- In Word, go to Tools/Options and click on the Save tab. Turn "Fast Save" off if it is not already off. Open the document and save it. That should eliminate a lot of gas in the .DOC file that Fast Save builds up and make the file a lot smaller if you have had Fast Save turned on. If save time is now acceptable, you can leave this off, or you can try turning it back on. I prefer to keep this off all the time.

5- You might want to try running Scandisk on the hard drive to find any possible problems and then defragment the drive.
    Legare Coleman

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It worked! 15 seconds to save it locally, 45 seconds to save it to the network (the network team are investigating that one!). Thank you very much for your help.

Regards

John

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Of COURSE it worked (grin!) It always DOES!

It's amazing what Word can do once it cleans its act up.
    I mean, once it cleans up its act.

I had guessed that it was a slightly-corrupt document. Your network people are investigating the 45secs vs. 15secs issue, right? is anyone investigating the document?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If there is a Virus Checker running on the server, have the network people check it out. They are famous for causing this kind of problem, and most have parameters that can be set to aleviate the problem.
    Legare Coleman