New Lounger
    Thanks

Desktop Shortcuts Locked

The computer is an IBM NetVista with Windows 2000. There are 21 shortcuts on the Desktop. The Office Shortcut Bar is not used.

The Desktop shortcuts CAN be arranged by Name, Type, Size, Date, or Auto Arranged. We CAN delete a Desktop shortcut.

The Desktop shortcuts CANNOT be moved individually. In other words, the user cannot left-click, hold, and drag a shortcut to a new spot. The "black circle with a line through it" appears.

Her Desktop shortcuts acted "normally" until about a week ago. The computer has been on this user's desk for about six months. She isn't the type of user to go in and experiment with things. We think she must have hit something accidently, but neither she nor we know what was done.

The thing that is so confusing to me is that I can understand locking a user's desktop (although we don't do that here), but why would the various "auto arrange" choices still work?

Thank you,

-- Suzanne

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Desktop Shortcuts Locked

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but it certainly sounds like the same thing. Worth looking anyway....
    1. <LI>Open the registry editor (REGEDIT.EXE).
      <LI>Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVe rsionPoliciesExplorer
      <LI>Look for NoDesktopUpdate - I believe this is the setting that is responsible for preventing new icons from being placed on the desktop.
    For what it's worth, even if this particular user isn't the type to twiddle with settings and swears that she didn't, I always take it with a grain of salt. This sort of thing rarely if ever happens without a little assistance from somwhere.

At any rate, I would bet that it's a policy setting of some kind that is causing this to happen, and that registry key is the place to look. You could also check the equivalent value under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE entry as well.

HTH,
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Desktop Shortcuts Locked

Thank you, Mark.

As it happens, we were able to "fix" her problem by turning AutoArrange on and off and on and off and fiddling around with:
    1) right-clicking on the desktop and changing "Show Web content" and "Lock Desktop Items" back and forth
    2) Control Panel > Display > Web Tab "Show Web content on my Active Desktop"
    We eventually did something that worked.

I also have Windows 2000 (not a NetVista, thankyouverymuch) and tried unsucessfully to replicate her problem on my computer; even checking "Lock Desktop Items" didn't lock them.

Neither of us has a NoDesktopUpdate key, but I will save your reply for the NEXT time it happens.

Thank you again,

-- Suzanne