2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Won't send message (Outlook 2002)

Some of our users in the office have Windows ME or Windows 98. Our administrator has just loaded Office XP on all computers. When they open a document in Word or Excel and click on FILE and SEND TO and MAIL RECIPIENT AS ATTACHMENT, the Outlook program opens and the attachment is in the message area. However, when the recipients e-mail address is typed in and they click on the SEND button, nothing happens. It just sits there. (Mine works fine - I have Windows 2000). They can work around it by opening a new message in Outlook and inserting the attachment, but that's a pain when they should be able to send from within Word or Excel. Any assistance would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Won't send message (Outlook 2002)

This might fix it.
    Run sysedit and take a look at the [Mail] section of win.ini. You'll want to compare the entries for a non-working PC with the entries of a similarly equipped (OS, Office version, etc) PC that works.

Mine looks like the list below, but your milage may vary.
    [Mail]
    MAPI=1
    CMC=1
    CMCDLLNAME=mapi.dll
    CMCDLLNAME32=mapi32.dll
    MAPIX=1
    MAPIXVER=1.0.0.1
    OLEMessaging=1

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I'll give it a try. Unfortunately, it appears that all computers that have Windows 98 or ME with Office XP are having the same problem, so I can't compare with a working computer with the same OS. However, I have Windows 2000 with Office XP and I have the same info that you listed. My "Send" is working just fine. I'll take a look at the other computer just to see what her settings are. Maybe I can tell something from there. Again, thanks for the suggestion. I'll let you know if it fixes the problem.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry. I checked her settings and they are the same as mine and yours. Thanks for trying.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have had similar problems with WinME and Office 2K, but that one I was able to trace to a Internet Explorer patch. Some security hole that the patch fixed managed to prevent Outlook from sending a message created from IE, whether it was clicking on a mailto link or using Send | Page/Link by E-mail. It turned out to be due to changes in the Restricted Internet Zone settings, which in turn are inherited by Outlook. Maybe a little tinkering with your internet security settings could help?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try. I assume our Administrator will have to tinker with the security settings on the Exchange server? He claims he doesn't know where to look to do that (he's the President's brother - enough said). Any assistance in that area?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

To get to your security settings: (Control Panel or IE Tools) | Internet Options | Security | Restricted Sites.

The other big thing to check is for any new security patches at Windows Update. I had this problem for a while, but a few updates later I'm having no troubles at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

does it finally send if they hit send a few times or if they use the keyboard shortcuts?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

We've discovered that it will send from the drop down menu under File and with the shortcut keys. It just won't send if you hit the SEND button.