Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Characters ignored by modems?

I'd like a list of all characters that are generally ignored by dialing modems.

Examples of such characters are "(" and ")" and "-". They don't affect my fax-dialer modem at all.

Characters such as "," however are suspect; I believe the comma introducces a 1/2 second delay.

Purpose of my request? I'm working on my macros that interchnage data between the fax address list and send logs of QuickLink II fax and the mail-merger text files of my name-and-address data base.

I figure on using the "noise" characters as a means of encoding data within the telephone number entry itself.

For example, if I could find ten such noise characters, I could translate a digit-string to the noise characters and embedd a VOICE telephone number right there in the fax number, or even a date-last-faxed.

Thanks

Re: Characters ignored by modems?

Can't help with the ineffective characters, but you may get a leg-up from here: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.modemhelp.org/>http://www.modemhelp.org/</A>

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, but after ten minutes I knew more about startup strings than i care to remember.

I think I'll just fire characters at the modem one by one and see which cause it to barf.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wow, thanks Leif.

I work in hospitality and you can imagine the problems our guests have. That's gone straight into my Favourites.
    Granville