Lounger
    Thanks

Explorer Keeps Reversing Folders

Windows Exporer keeps reversing my folders so that they are ordered Z - A. I have used my "view," "folder options," and "like current folder" options. I have tried to used the reset option and have checked and unchecked the "remember the view settings" option.

Anyone got any ideas to make Explorer behave? Sure would appreciate it.

RR

Thanks

Re: Explorer Keeps Reversing Folders

Sure, Rickir ~

Just do this:

Open just one instance of Windows Explorer, say....My Documents. Right click in a blank area and select "Arrange Icons By" and then select "Name". If you notice, each time you do that, the file order will go from A-Z or Z-A. Once they are in the order you want them, go to the menu on top and select "Tools", then "Folder Options...", then the "View" tab, click the "Apply to All Folders" button, then "Yes", then "Apply" (unless it is greyed out), then "OK".

As an extra measure to insure it sticking after you do the above, go to the menu again, select "File", then select "Close" while holding down one of your "Shift" buttons on your keyboard.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

And if you still have the problem, a solution might be specific to which OS you're using - are you on XP or what? You've tried "like current folder" and Bruce adds "all folders," so come back and tell us how you make out.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your replies! I managed to get Explorer to behave, but I'm still having trouble with my Internet Explorer "save as" feature. That still comes up in showing my folders in reverse order. This is also true when I use certain programs like MasterSplitter.

I use Windows 98. Any further help is appreciated!

RR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Rickir --

When you click on File, SaveAs and the "Save Web Page" dialog box comes up, click on the "Details" icon and then click on the "Name" heading to change the sort order from descedening to ascending (or vice versa).

When in detail view you can also sort by size, date modified, attributes, etc, simply by clicking on the heading of the column. If the sort order is not as you want, click again and it will reverse itself.

You can also drag the heading to reorder the columns. I often move the Modified column next to the name, and sort by the date modified to quickly locate a file by date rather than name.

I haven't found a way to make my choices stick, but it is a quick click on the Details icon, and then I can sort by whatever category I choose.

Hope this helps,
    Samantha

Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks!
    Robert A. Heinlein - Time Enough for Love

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

RR,
    This is what fixed things for me in Win98. Right click start, click explore, then click drive c. On the view menu click details, then click name. Then press and hold the control key down and close explorer with the X in the top right corner, not with the file menu. Release the control key. Restart the computer. That will change the sort order to the default in explorer and in applications that save. It worked great for me. Thanks to BC Reeves who gave me the tip.
    John