2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

TOC Page Numbering starts w/Page 2 (2000, SR1)

In the TOC of the document I'm working on, when generating the TOC, the page numbering starts with page 2 even though my actual page 1 does show page 1 (set to start at page 1). If I set my first page to start at 4, the TOC will show it as page 5. Any ideas?

Please excuse me if this has already been posted, but in my search I cannot find anything about this.

Thanks

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: TOC Page Numbering starts w/Page 2 (2000, SR1)

Although I'm not entirely sure from what you wrote, it sounds like there is a page before the TOC. Is that true? If so, is there a section break before the TOC? If both are true, you'll need to go into the header or footer of the section the TOC is in, click on the format page number button on the header and footer toolbar and set the TOC section to start at page 1.

If there is not a section break before the TOC, you'll need to insert one to get the page numbering to restart. To do so, position your cursor before the first line on the TOC page, click on Insert, then Section Break, then choose Next Page. If you have to insert a section break, when you enter the header or footer of the new section, be sure to click on the Same as Previous button on the header/footer tool bar to break the link between the two sections. Otherwise, whatever you do in the section section header or footer will also appear in the first section header or footer.

Lee Morgan

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It occurred to me after posting my response that I may have answered a question other than the one you were asking, in which case I apologize. Is the page number of the TOC page itself incorrect, or is the TOC returning the wrong page number for a TOC entry?

Lee Morgan

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lee:

The cover and a 2nd page are in Section 1, the TOC is Section 2, and the rest is from Section 3 to the end. The TOC, even though I don't want a page number on it, is set to restart at 1, along with page 1 of Section 3. My page numbers for Section 3 are correct (Page 1 of 11).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can you attach a copy? You may want to replace the text with random text of the same length.

Lee Morgan

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lee:

Attached is doc. I hope I am not missing something obvious.

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, if you're missing something obvious, I think I am, too. There is no page number on the TOC pages. If you insert one, it starts on 1 (or, actually, i), so it appears that the actual page number of the TOC is not the problem.

The first entry in the TOC is for Article 1, which is found on page 1 of section 4, but which shows page 2 at the bottom of the page, because the page number in section 4 is set to continue from the previous section rather than to restart at 1. If that is the problem, and the TOC should show page 1 for Article 1, you need to go into the footer of section 4, click the Format Page Number button on the Header/Footer toolbar, and select Start At, which will be default be set to 1.

It's still not really clear to me exactly what your problem is, but I'm guessing it's what I outlined in the previous paragraph. If that's not the case, please try to clarify the problem. Thanks.

Lee Morgan

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Leanne:
    Your page numbering is set to continue from the previous section. If you:
    1. Click the first item in the TOC so that it takes you to Article 1.
    2. Go to Insert/Page Numbers/Format...,

you'll see that it's set to continue from the previous section. Change it to start at one, then click OK, & then click CLOSE (do not click OK a second time because it will insert page numbers, which isn't what you want). Update your TOC & it will start with one.

Cheers,