Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

'Access Lock File' (A2K, SR1)

What is an "Access Lock.File"? A few moments ago, I closed my Acced db, then went to My Computer and noticed this tiny (1 mb) file by that name. Any ideas?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 'Access Lock File' (A2K, SR1)

It should disappear when you close your database (unless your database crashes, or someone else is still using the database). If you are SURE no one else is using your database (and that you haven't accidentally opened it twice but only closed it once), you can delete the lock file.

The lock file is, basically, what tracks multi-user access so that more than one person can open your database at once time while still preventing two people from simultaneously changing the same record. It is created automatically and (should be) deleted automatically.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks! I couldn't find anything (but I did a very hurried search). I remember seeing something like that a few years ago in connection with a database I had constructed over a couple of months. The file did not go away (the one I saw today did vanish), and my project went up in flames. That's why I had the vapors when I saw it. The difference this time is that I have not one but two backup copies of my db on different drives. The first time, I didn't know how to spell backup.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There is sometimes a delay refreshing the Windows explorer window, especially if there's a network involved.
    Charlotte