3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Possible hard drive problem....

i have win98se running on a pc at home. recently it started going into scandisk before getting into windows, saying that it found something wrong. it runs through the basic stuff and then starts on a scan of the surface. i've been cancelling out and going into windows and haven't noticed any problems. the pc has been shutting down fine all by itself, too, so it's not that the pc wasn't shut down properly. i've gone into safe mode and run a thorough scandisk twice now, weeks apart, and it hasn't found any bad sectors. does it sound like the drive is going bad or do i just need to wipe the drive clean and reinstall everything from scratch? let me know what you think. thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Possible hard drive problem....

Methinks you may be in for a drive problem, later if not sooner. I know Windows is not completely reliable, but when Scandisk decides it needs to do a surface scan, you ought to let it do it. On occasion, I HAVE re-done FDISK and FORMAT, only to have the drive crap out later anyway. First, you ought to let that surface scan complete, but you should also be "thinking" about buying a new drive. NOW: Backup, backup, backup.....

Thanks

Have you run scandisk with the /F option to let the program fix any errors found?
    Also, surface scan is an option that you can set to yes or no, within scandisk itself.
    If you let scandisk run with out the fix option it will repeat itself on the next boot usually.

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>...recently it started going into scandisk before getting into windows, saying that it found something wrong. it runs through the basic stuff and then starts on a scan of the surface...<hr>
    This is what clued me to the fact that, for all its warts, Windows has "spotted" something and decided on its own to do a surface scan. Most of the time, that's not a good sign.....

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

i did a virus scan and it found nothing (it has the latest dat files). scandisk doesn't run every time so i did not check task scheduler.

i downloaded maxtor's powermax program and ran all of the test against my hard drive. it came back fine. i'm going to assume it's a windows problem.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If Scandisk is showing bad sectors, then a hard drive failure is generally pending. Another alternative, although it costs about $90, is Steve Gibson's Spinrite program. . Details are available at http://grc.com/spinrite.htm

Thanks

Dennis,
    I agree with you re: Spinrite. Steve Gibson has had that program available for a long time and the current version (5.0) is OK with XP & 2000 & NTFS. It does a great job in testing AND repairing HD problems (much better than Scandisk) It can reclaim or refresh sectors and rewrite tracks as it goes. I have used it a number of times and the only draw back is that it takes a LONG time to do it. Plan on an overnight run session or more to do a large HD, but it does have the ability to stop and pick up where you left off, so you can do it in stages. I was lucky to get the upgrade at $39.US. Well worth it.

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My son's computer is on his 3rd new maxtor drive in 5 months - all replaced under warrenty. It started when we installed a new 20 gig Maxtor. To Maxtor's credit they replaced that with a 30 and when that one went south replaced that with a 40. They all showed the first symtom of doing a PITA surface scan on boot. It never found anything wrong. But within a couple weeks the drive quit all-together. He told me that last week the 40G drive did the same thing. I'm not sure if it is a Maxtor problem or a computer problem at this point. I tested the power supply voltage and found nothing wrong. Next time it quits I will put in an old WD drive just to check it out. Maxtor has been good about replacing them, but re-installing all the software is getting old. I've talked with two other people going through the same thing with thier Maxtor drives. I haved to add here that my Maxtor at work has worked great for almost 4 years.