2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

mouse curser becomes a square (Office XP)

We have several computers on a network with a server. Sometimes during a day, on the screen of one of the monitors the screen will shake alittle when a mouse is moved around. Also the mouse curser will switch from an arrow to a half inch square. The square mouse curser problem will happen on more than one computer on the network. The shakey screen problem I have only seen on one computer monitor. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: mouse curser becomes a square (Office XP)

This indicates extensive CPU and memory usage. Check services running on client computers. Check events. Stop any applications connecting for automatic updates (except antivirus). Stop Alerter, Computer Browser and Messenger services. Uninstall Windows Automatic Updates (Windows component) on all computers.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

On the "shaky" screen question, check to see what else is plugged into the same circuit. I've seen wavering displays courtesy of personal fans, heaters, and even desk lamps.
    Charlotte

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I've also seen wavering screens when someone else's screen is turned on, or when a mobile phone goes off nearby (even on vibrate!).
    Beryl M

Thanks

Vibrate, silent or a full polyphonic version of Mahler's Fifth shouldn't make any difference. Your mobile 'phone is basically in standby until a call comes in, then it goes to permanent full power for the call. It's them radio waves what is doing it, ma'am!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

We usually recommend that mobile phones be kept at least 10 meters from critical servers, this is based on FCC specifications for how sensitive computer systems are to radio interference and GSM specifications for the power that can be radiated by a phone.

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

For what it's worth, this square cursor thing started happening to me when I got a new IBM Thinkpad with Win XP. IBM support suggested it was a video driver problem. And, indeed, when they finally issued a video driver update, the problem disappeared, and has not recurred. If you do a Google Groups search on something like "cursor black square" you'll see a lot of messages about this problem, but few, if any, explanations.