Lounger
    Thanks

Is there a 'standard' screen area setting? (2000)

In my Display Properties, I keep my Screen area set to 1024 X 768 pixels. I run into a problem when a user sets theirs differently - forms either are too small or large on their screen. Is there a 'standard' setting that I can insist my users adhere to in order to keep form sizes on the screen consistent?

Thanks,

Howard

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Is there a 'standard' screen area setting? (2000)

No there is no standard.
    It is issue you need to talk about with users when starting a new project.
    I find that I can't assume more than 800 x 600, so even though I work at 1024 x 768, I always design for 800 x 600 and revert back to that regularly to check that all is OK.
    Some time ago there was a post with a reference to a utility that would automatically adjust the screen resolution to what you want, then set it back when you exit the database. I tried it on my machine and it worked well, but the first time I included it in a db it gave some strange effects on the user's computer .
    Regards
    John

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the info John

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I also generally design for 800x600. You'd be surprised how many people have big monitors but have them set for only 800x600! I'll design only for 1024 X 768 only for specific circumstances where I know that is the monitor settings used.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Your best bet is always to design for the minimum screen resolution you plan to support. We design everything to fit in 800 x 600 because some clients are running the app in industrial settings and using older, smaller monitors. They have to use 800 x 600 to be able to see the thing. We dropped support for 640 X 480 finally because so few people use it any more. If you need to support a wide range of screen resolutions, you'll probably need to have an alternate set of forms to use for the extremes of the range.
    Charlotte