4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Critical Files Not Accessable on CDRW

Using Roxio Easy CD Creator Platinum and am occasionally getting the following error message when trying to copy/move files from CDRW discs - The requested files could not be read from the CD in Drive F. It is recommended to copy any critical files on this CD to a new CD. Since I am using the CDRW to store critical files I am questioning the reliability of CDRW discs. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to the type or size of file it decides is not accessible.

Does anyone know if this sounds like a Roxio problem (I am reading some not-so-good stuff about Roxio software), or could the CD drive itself be causing the problem? And is there one media type that is more reliable than another?

TIA
    <font face="Comic Sans MS"><big><font color=4682b4>Sherry</font color=4682b4></big></font face=comic>

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Critical Files Not Accessable on CDRW

Hi and Happy New Year. Is the CDRW you are using an add on or inbuilt? I have used Roxio CD/RW to back up files and found it good. The only time I got stumped was when I discovered the hard way I had to make sure the CD was closed off when I had finished backing up, if I had left it open (to add more files) and tried to access the disc in another machine, it would not read at all. If I had closed off the disc then accessed it elsewhere, it was just fine.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Critical Files Not Accessable on CDRW

Haven't heard any bad things about CD-RW discs, but I tried Easy CD Creator as it was bundled with a new drive. After it destroyed a second CD-R (slightly better than 50% success rate), I bought a copy of Nero, which I have always been happy with in the past. Since then, no trouble, even using 16x discs at 48x. I have read reviews of Easy Cd that suggested problems.

A demo version of Nero can be downloaded from http://www.ahead.de/en/index.html#download , but I don't know how functional it is. You could also try zdnet.com for some other alternatives.
    We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.