2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

data refresh on linked tables (Access XP)

First, sorry if this get posted twice. I tried posting it once and it didn't appear to work.

How often does a linked table refresh the data? I have a table that is linked to a txt file created by a Palm Pilot. It doesn't appear to refresh the data. Will I have to always use the linked table manager to refresh?

Thanks,

Bret

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: data refresh on linked tables (Access XP)

You wrote:
    >>How often does a linked table refresh the data? I have a table that is linked to a txt file created by a Palm Pilot. It doesn't appear to refresh the data. Will I have to always use the linked table manager to refresh?<<

Bret,

What exactly do you mean by "refresh the data"? (The term "Refresh" is also used in relation to forms, and there is a difference between "Refresh" and "Requery", so I want to be sure.) What are the circumstances in which the data in the txt file is changed? That is, while the Access application is open and you are using the data?
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Maybe "update" would be a better term? We enter data into the Palm Pilot then Hot Sync that data to the PC. Once we have done the Hot Sync I want to know if the table that is linked to the txt file updates when I start the database or do I have to go to the linked table manager and update the linked table?

We have not had the database open at the time of Hot Syncing the Palm.

Thanks Mark,

Bret

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

So you're saying that you sync the Palm Pilot and the text file doesn't get updated? Or are you saying the text file gets updated but you don't see that data in the linked table? Have you, in fact, opened the text file with something like Word to be sure the file itself got updated? The link to the file doesn't hold any data at all. It merely holds the connection string that tells Access what kind of a file it is and where it's located.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Charlotte,

I see the txt file change but I wasn't seeing the Modified Date change on the linked table. So, I looked at the data and see that it does indeed update. The modified date on the table must refer to the structure of the table being modified?

Thanks,

Bret

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The modified date for the linked table should be the last date you created or refreshed the link. It doesn't have anything to do with the contents of the linked file.
    Charlotte

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

If the source file for that linked table is in the same directory as before, each time you use the table in Access it will give you the most recent data from the file. You shouldn't have to do anything.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.