Star Lounger
    Thanks

Home Network HELP!

I'm from the Uk and have a Pentium 4 2.0 GHz and a Pentium III 1.0 GHz both running XP Pro and an NTL Cable modem. After browsing this forum I decided to skip the Cable Router and go for the 2 NIC option. I have both computers connected via a crossover cable and my cable modem connected to the Pentium 4. I have run the network setup on both machines, it works fine on the Pentium 3 but encounters an error on the pentium 4. Both machines can see each other and copy files back and forth. The pentium 4 can access the internet but the pentium 3 cannot. I have tried clicking internet sharing on the internet connection but it encounters an error too. Please help, i wanted to set this network up in time for christmas!

Thanks
    Jamie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Home Network HELP!

I haven't used ICS since Win98 and WinME, but lemme see - do you have the PIII setup under DHCP? You say you encounter an error on the PIV BUT it is able to see the internet. What is the error you get? You might want to take a look here to see if you spot anything you may have missed. There's lots of places out there that have tips on using ICS. One thing I don't know about is whether the built-in firewall of XP will get in your way or not. One other thing you need to do (I think) is turn OFF Simple File Sharing in Folder Options.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Home Network HELP!

I just plugged all the cable in and run the Home Network setup wizard on both computers. The P3 went ok and finished the wizard but the P4 says it encountered an error and says to configure it manually and i ain't got a clue. Sorry to sound a bit dull but i've only heard of DHCP, i don't actually know what it is or how it works! the error windows gives me if i try to share the connection using ICS is "An error occured while Internet Connection Sharing was being enabled.
    The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

Thanks
    Jamie