2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What are these files ?

While checking the computer I came across a lot of files in the c:windows folder that look like this:
    fffd352f_{B7BBFF82-278B-4A41-9FD8-83F86987AF9E}.tmp
    What are these for and can I delete them ?
    Thanks,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: What are these files ?

Man, I sure don't know what all those files are, but I'd venture a guess that they're being left by some recurring activity you have running on your system that's not "cleaning up" after itself. I'm making that guess based on the apparent repetitiveness of the files. Normaly, "TMP" files are caused by some app crashing, aborting or otherwise not running properly, or maybe an installation failing midway through.

Under all circumstances that I'm aware of, one can safely delete files with a TMP file extension, so I'd go ahead and put 'em in the Recycle Bin and see if you run into a problem. But, while you're at it, you might want to do some further detective work, after looking at those dates and times, to see if you can discover what's creating the files.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

These files may be created by Mdm.exe, the Machine Debug Manager; this is a de###### that comes with the Microsoft Script Editor. It may have been installed with Office 2000 or Visual Studio 6, possibly with other software. You can get rid of it by tinkering with the Registry - be careful if you elect to do so.

From the Start menu, select the Run... option.
    Type RegEdit in the Open box and click OK.
    Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionRunServices.
    Delete the entry for Mdm.exe.
    The next time you start your PC, Mdm.exe won't be run. You can delete al the fff*.tmp files now.

See OFF2000: Files Whose Name Begins with "fff" Appear in Windows Folder for more information.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Good for you, Hans, for knowing the true answer! Would the program also show up in the startup tab of MSCONFIG? In case he's not inclined to open the registry directly, MSCONFIG might be a bit "safer" of an alternative, do you think?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Al,

You're probably right, but I can't check that myself (using Windows NT).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I used msconfig and see that the Debug is running on start-up. I did notice that every once in awhile that an error would pop up about the Debug. Do you know if there are any "down falls" to turning this off ?
    On your advice, I will delete all those temp files before turning off the MDM.
    Thanks,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Tim,

I turned off Mdm.exe on my PC 4 years ago without any harmful effect. The strange .tmp files have never turned up since.