cohagan

Invisible Queries!?

We have an Access 2000 database converted from an Access 97 database. The Access 97 database has lots of queries, but the Access 2000 database shows NONE of them. They are there, however, since I can access them via a VB program and DAO. Anybody got any ideas to make these invisible queries rematerialize in the query view?

Thanks in advance,
    Bill Cohagan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Invisible Queries!?

Do you have the hidden objects showing? If not, go to Tools-->Options-->View and turn on hidden objects. See if that makes them visible. It is possible to create a true hidden query, but it shouldn't have happened in a conversion.
    Charlotte

cohagan

Charlotte-
    Thanks for the response. Yes, I do have hidden objects (and system objects) showing enabled. Interestingly all of my queries are listed in the MsysObjects table.
    The only unique thing about these queries is that they were generated by a VB program and have an attribute that "normal" queries don't have -- although I actually think there are some hand crafted queries that are invisible as well.

Bill

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The only was I know of to make a query truly invisible without setting the vbHiddenObject attribute (you don't want to do that, by the way) is to create them from code. I don't know of any way to make them visible after that.
    Charlotte

cohagan

Charlotte-
    Are you saying that creating a query from code will make it invisible? I've created hundreds of queries from code and until now have never had one turn invisible. Is this something new to Access 2000? Can you be more specific about what causes a code created query to be (or become) invisible?

Thanks again,
    Bill

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

No, I'm saying that the only way I know of to create an invisible query is from code. You can do it like this using ADO:

<pre> ' Open the Catalog object on the current database.
    catDB.ActiveConnection = CurrentProject.Connection

'Create a Command object to contain the
    'query's definition.
    Set cmd = New ADODB.Command

cmd.CommandText = strSQL

'Add the query to the Procedures collection.
    catDB.Procedures.Append strQryName, cmd</pre>

You will now have a query that exists and can be used in code, but it does not appear in the Queries tab in the database window in an MDB.
    Charlotte

cohagan

Is there a DAO equivalent way to do this? I created these queries via DAO. Since I'm not (yet) an ADO user I'm afraid I don't understand why your example produces invisible queries rather than visible ones.

Regards,
    Bill

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I think the reason they're invisible when created that way may be because an MDB doesn't have a visible procedures collection, only a queries collection. I'll have to think about it, but I don't know off-hand of a way to do it in DAO.
    Charlotte

cohagan

Thanks. No need to pursue the DAO variant. I was just trying to understand what was going on -- and your comment distinguishing the procedures from the queries collection explains it for me.

Any ideas at all as to how I might salvage these easily? (By the way, extracting them via code and moving them over to a new database via code doesn't cure the problem.)

Bill