Star Lounger
    Thanks

What the H*** is Oleaut32.dll?

I've recently replaced my HD - actually, it was under warrenty and the company I got the computer from sent a techie out to do the hard work. He installed Win98 SE from the recovery disk provided by the computer manufacturer. A folder now exisits on my new HD called Win98 CD that never lived on my old HD.

So, here I was this evening, playing Myst III on my Win98 SE machine and all of a sudden.... pfft! I reboot and get two error messages saying that my machine can't find:
    windowssystemoleaut32.dll
    windows]systemolepro32.dll

Having a backup of everything I own on a second hard drive, I tried to use My Computer and/or Windows Explorer to copy and paste the files to where they belong but every time I tried to do that, my system shut down. Said it couldn't access Internet Explorer. Fortunately, I was able to log on to my computer over my LAN and do the cut and paste job.

Now, everything works fine.

A little work on the net seems to indicate that these two dll files have something to do with Windows NT. I don't have NT on my machine.

Could someone with more brain than mine please explain what is happening? Maybe someone can ask me some questions so I can provide more information to help figure this out. I must admit that I am at a complete loss to explain this.

I will post this on the NT section too... just in case someone there knows what is going on.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: What the H*** is Oleaut32.dll?

Oleaut32.dll provides Automation for Object Linking and Embedding on Windows 98. You can get a new version by installing the Visual Basic run time components, or the Microsoft Java virtual machine. See for example Knowledge Base Article 214845.

Olepro32 is a subset of Oleaut32 and is also installed with the VB6 Run time library.

The best way to replace these two files is probably to install the lates VB6 run time components that you can download from a link in Knowledge Base article 290887

StuartR

Thanks

214845 : Availability of the OLE Automation Fix for Windows 95/98
    and
    this MSDN article
    will give some background info on it.
    It is not specifically used by any one operating system - it looks like your re-install may have resulted in you having the wrong version installed. A quick search through the Lounge should have led you to Post 78565 : Updating oleaut32.dll file!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, you guys! This one really had me stumped. I did a search for oleaut32.dll in the win98 lounge and found nothing - should have searched the whole site!

I'd really like to know what made the problem crop up in the first place. Fixing things is always nice but knowing what I did wrong is great too!

As always, I appreciate the helpful people in the Lounge.