Star Lounger
    Thanks

Selecting a rectangle of text (97)

how can i remove a space character from the start of every line of a document. If I could select a rectangular shape 1cm wide & several page deep (ie the start of every line) then I could easily search & replace. But I don't think there's any way to select an area this way?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Selecting a rectangle of text (97)

Press and hold the Alt key and then use the mouse to drag out your rectangular area.

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well that started off looking promising, and using the alt key I can now for instance select a rectangular block of text and format it or something.
    But when I tried search & replace Word ignored my selection, and instead carried out the function on the whole document.
    Once Search & Replace had been carried out the area which was selected was not my original rectangular selection, but the whole document (in other words linse which I had only partially selected were now wholly selected.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> that started off looking promising

It did what you originally said you needed. You could delete the first character from every line using that method.

What exactly are you trying to do?

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

But what if I want to use the replace function instead of hitting delete (because for example in some lines of text there might be a character I want to retain). Using search&replace I can eliminate all the space characters yet retain whatever I want to retain.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you want to replace Space Characters at the beginning of lines then you can use Search and Replace by selecting the entire document
    Find: <span style="background-color: #FFFF00; color: #000000; font-weight: bold">^p </span hi> (Paragraph mark followed by space)
    Replace with: <span style="background-color: #FFFF00; color: #000000; font-weight: bold">^p</span hi> (Just a paragraph mark)
    Replace All

StuartR