Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Mover Temporary Internet Files (IE 6/Win 2K)

Is there any way to get IE6 and Win2k to let me put the temporary internet files on another partition and somewhere *outside* a particular profile's documents & settings? That is one of the most annoying things about Win2k, and I see no reason to allow it to suck up needed space on my main partition. It will let me tell it to move the folder to the D: drive and it goes through the motions, including logging me off from Windows, but it comes right back with the temporary internet files set to exactly the same place on C:. Anyone?
    Charlotte

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Mover Temporary Internet Files (IE 6/Win 2K)

Cannot Move or Rename the Documents and Settings Folder
    "Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 236621 " http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...B;en-us;q236621

Also note that near the bottom there is a staement about editing the registry

<font color=blue>"Replace the value data or rename the value or registry key to the new path for <font color=red>each and every registry key and value that contains the original path</font color=red>.NOTE: You must complete this change for every instance in the registry or your computer may not start. It is imperative that you update all registry keys and values with the new path"</font color=blue>

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

With IE open select Tool | Internet Options. On the General tab, click settings in the temporary internet files section. Then push the Move Folder button. Ok your way out after selecting the new location. Anywhere (control panel, right click desktop IE icon, etc.) you can get the Internet options yuo can do this.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I know. I've done it that way. Repeatedly. Then one day I'll happen to check and the temporary internet files are right back in documents & settings rather then where I moved them.
    Charlotte

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not trying to removed anything, just get the blasted temporary internet files folder to stay where I tell it to go. I goes along behaving for a while and then unexpectedly switches back to the default. Since all the references I can find in the registry are within keys identified with GUIDs, I haven't wanted to mess with them directly.
    Charlotte

Super Moderator
    Thanks

What may be happening is every time there is a update that affects the tif, it may be reset to the default. Just a SWAG

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.