2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Easy Report Problem (2000)

I've got a simple report which will not display my category correctly. It's displaying it as a number when I'm storing the actual category in it. I've got a relationship between the category table. But for ease of input, I put a dropdown in the table, so a user could choose the date. Is there a way in the report to get the actualy category to show instead of the category ID? Thanks beforehand!!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Easy Report Problem (2000)

It sounds like your table lookup is using 2 columns and storing the ID in the category field, which is the normal way to do it. That way, if you misspell a value in the lookup table of categories, you just fix it in one place and all the records in the related table immediately reflect that fix. If that is the case, then the report needs to be based on a query that joins the two table on the categoryID (or whatever the key field is called in the lookup table). Then pull your category field from the lookup table rather than from the main table.
    Charlotte

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Alternatively, you could also put a combo box on your report instead of the textbox. Use as the control box's row source the lookup table that contains the category names.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

BobB:
    You're 100% correct. In fact, I'm not even allowing my users to see the tables. I went back to my table design and switched them back. Thanks again for the feedback!!

New Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by charlotte on 26-Dec-02 21:05. to activate link)</P>Also see http://www.mvps.org/access/lookupfields.htm . Your problem is only one reason why Lookup fields should be avoided. There are a good half dozen others. Lookup fields have far more problems than benefits and I never use them. "It's displaying it as a number when I'm storing the actual category in it." Nope, your actually storing the number. "But for ease of input, I put a dropdown in the table." Users shouldn't have access to tables. Input should be done through forms. These are just a few more of the misunderstandings and errors that Lookup fields encourage. I'd recommend putting the combo boxes on Forms, which is what you should be using to look at your data anyway. Table datasheets are for debugging and design; and as such they should display what they actually contain rather than concealing it.