3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

AutoPlay for Pictures List Empty (Windows XP)

I just got a new digital camera. It is seen as removable device (not as a Camera). Fine.

BUT -- when inserted the AutoPlay dialog confirmation box comes up asking which action to perform for a folder full of pictures. Problem is, there are NO ACTIONS listed in the dialog box.

Any idea how I can reset this?

--Guy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: AutoPlay for Pictures List Empty (Windows XP)

Does the thread starting at Post 193547 help?

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Stuart, but no.

That's a similar problem in Win2K, but when I searched for the suspect file "stisvc.exe" on my XP machine, I didn't find it...

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Guy, did you enable searching for hidden files and in system folders? By default, search will miss that file unless you enable both options.
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I searched using the built-in file finder (with hidden and system checked) and used PowerDesk's FileFinder (which doesn't ask to confirm hidden and system searches). I did not find "stisvc.exe," I did a search on STI*.* and found a bunch of stuff.

Are you seeing "stisvc.exe" on a windows xp machine?

BTW - I plugged the same camera into a laptop with XP and it worked as expected: with a list of actions, including "Copy files with Camera and Scanners wizard"...

I wonder what got hosed from my desktop registry?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Which XP version? Have you applied SP-1? Have you checked for updated drivers for the camera?

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It's a Leica Digilux 1. It has no drivers for XP.

XP recognizes the camera as a disk drive.

Both installations (on Desktop and on Laptop) are PRE-SP1.... Installing SP1 may fix it.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Guy, I just searched and I don't have that file either. Evidently (based on the sum total notes of two end users) it's not used in XP and has been rolled into something "greater." Unfortunately I can't discover what that something greater is right now because I appear to have lost all USB functionality and that just happens to be how my scanner is attached. I was planning to use Filemon from Sysinternals to see what processes came into play.

However, I believe what you're experiencing is more driver related. It's not a problem of the camera being seen, it's the method of access. My friend's Sony appears as a removable drive in Windows Explorer, and you can turn on thumbnail viewing to see the camera's contents. Have you tried checking the options in the Scanners and Camers applet in Control Panel? You may be able to change the default action(s) from there. You might also check into Regmon from the link above to see what's happening at the registry level if you're so inclined. It's an excellent troubleshooting tool.
    -Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know if this'll help, Guy, but I bought a Sony and a USB universal media reader so I wouldn't have to plug the camera in to the computer. Every time I insert a memory stick into the reader to transfer pix to my hard drive, that window pops open and I've been hitting cancel since I don't want its help! Yesterday for the first time, I selected the entry "Take No Action" and now the annoying (to me) little window doesn't even open. Drat! However, the attachment shows a screen in TweakUI XP that might help you resolve the problem or get started. I also found the registry area where the "messages" are, but most of them seem to run SHELL32.DLL with command line parms, so I wouldn't know what to do with that. See first if TweakUI's tool will help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

And, just in case any of our Lounge brethren might know what to do with this, here's the registry area where I found some (all?) of the messages that the autoplay window seems to show. The shot if from CURRENT USERSOFTWAREMICROSOFTWINDOWS.
    Attached Images Attached Images

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Big Al,

I think the problem has to do with some sort of link between JPGS/JPEGS and the "class" named "Pictures".

When I go to any drive that supports AutoPlay (not just the camera) and select properties, I see the following classes: Music files, Pictdures, Video files, Mixed content, and Music CD.

All of the classes have associated "actions" except Pictures. The list of actions to perform is blank for all these media, not just for the usb camera.

Looking in TweakUI and in the registry section you posted -- it seems I have the appropriate actions defined.

So what's missing is the link between whatever is beyind "Pictures" and the section in ShellNoRoam that lists the appropriate acdtions.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The solution was bizarre. And stumbled on through a combination of detection and luck.

I added a new "action" using TweakUI's interface (My Computer, AutoPlay, Handlers.Create). After doing this, magically, the Pictures actions reappeared. But there was an item in the list that had nonprintable characters for a name and no provider.

I then went into the registry under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionExplorerAutoplayHandlersEventHandlersShowPic turesOnArrival

And found compared the items there with the ones showing in the autoplay list. Unaccounted for was one called: "PTSOnArrivalHandler"

I deleted this and lo and behold, the AutoPlay.Pictures list was not there and didn't contain an extra/bogus item.

Clearly, prior to creating the TweakUI item, the list was aborting load because "PTSOnArrivalHandler" was an invalid action.

Thanks to all who gave this some thought.

I have no idea was "PTSOnArrivalHandler" refers to, or how it got there, or how it became invalid. But losing it seems to have fixed the problem.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Like the leader of the A-Team used to say: "Don't ya just love it when a plan comes together!" I'm glad you found it, Guy. It's a shame you weren't able to find out what that PTS..... entry was put there by. I might go do a little Googling to see if I can see something. In my autoplay window, I have two entries for CDs that don't have names either and they were put there by Nero. I just can't figure out in the registry WHERE to add the name. Oh well..... Anyway, great detective work!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I went to everyone's favorite place for such things, pacs-portal, and saw that PTS.EXE is a program called Kodak Picture Transfer, so you might see if you have that file on your system somewhere. I also saw, but I hope not involved here, a file called PTSNOOP.EXE is a backdoor trojan.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Big Al,

Thanks for taking the trouble. Yep. That would be it. My last camera was a Kodak, and for a time I had installed their Picture Transfer Software and then uinstalled it. Clearly it didn't uninstall entirely.

Regards.