3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sys automatically saving to temp doc instead of (Office 2002)

For the past month of so I have been having trouble saving my Excel documents. These are documents I have been using for over a year with no problems. When I make changes and then click save I receive this error message:"Save not completed. File name failed. Retry?" When I click retry I then get the error message:" Your changes could not be save to..., but were saved to a temporary document named.... Close the existing document, then open the temp doc and save it under a new name." I can do that with no problem. But why is this happening. Also, after I open the temp doc and rename it and save it I then try to delete the original doc and receive these error messages:"Cannot delete...It is being used by another person or program. Close any program that might be using the file and try again." "Cannot delete...Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use." In fact, in the course of editing a document, trying to save it, renaming the temp, etc. I have received as many as 6 different error messages. This has never happened before. FYI - We have a new server (W2K) and new business software that integrates with Word and Excel. Could these things be connected? Thanks for any help. This is very frustrating as I have quite a number of documents that I open daily. All of them have been effected.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sys automatically saving to temp doc instead of (Office 2002)

It sounds like one of two things has happened (most likely the second)

1- The files that you are opening and trying to save are in the XLStart directory.

2- If you select Options from the Tools menu and then click on the General tab, the directory where these files are located is listed in the box labeled "Alternate startup file location:".
    If so, delete the file from the box and click OK.
    Legare Coleman

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Legare,
    I have checked about six of my files and none of them have anything listed in the Alternate startup file location. Any other suggestions?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

One more possible thought. If you are running anti-virus software, try turning it off and see if that changes anything. If so, there is probably some parameter in the anti-virus that needs to be changed.

If that isn't it, then a couple of more questions:

1- Are the files stored on a network drive?

2- What operating system are you running?
    Legare Coleman

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, we are running Trend antivirus. I'll check out your suggestion today. I am using a Windows XP workstation. The files are stored on a network. The server is a Windows 2K.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Trend anti-virus on a server is where I saw that problem a couple of years ago. They have a recommended parameter change on the server that solved it.
    Legare Coleman

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm still working on this problem. My outside tech support person has been on vacation. He won't be back in the office until the end of the week. I did send him this post and ask him about Trend. He is not aware of any parameters changing when he set up the new server. Legare, where would I find this recommend parameter? Thanks.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Tech Support at the company I worked for a couple of years ago (before I retired) when I had the problem call Trend Tech Support and got the change from them. If I remember correctly, it had to do with how quickly after a file on the server is closed Trend checks it for a virus. Because of the way Excel saves files, that time had to be increased to several seconds.
    Legare Coleman

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Legare. That makes sense and I can see how if Trend is reading for a virus that Excel would think the file is still open; creates a temporary or tells me that the file is in use. I will certainly get our network tech support person to check it for me.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Just another possibility: do you have full rights to the directory in question?
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, Jan. I am the person that creates these files and folders and then stores them on one of our network directories. Nothing has changed with that. I know our outside tech person has had to do some tweaking to our firewalk and also how Trend searches for viruses since we got this new software. I'm thinking the errors I've been receiving must be connected with Trend. Now I just wait on our outside tech person to pay me a visit. Thanks for giving me one more area to think about - exhaust all possibilities!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Just some more information for your Tech Support person.

The reason there is a problem with Trend (if in fact Trend is the problem) is because of the way Excel does the Save. When you do a save, Excel writes the workbook out to a temporary file. It then closes the original file. Then it renames the original file to a temporary name. It then renames the new file back to the original name, and finally deletes to original file. The order of those steps may not be exact. The problem occurs when Trend opens either of the files to check for a virus between those steps, and Excel can't rename or reopen the file when it needs to. The solution, when we had the problem, was to delay Trend checking the file long enough for Excel to finish.
    Legare Coleman