5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

USB/IDE Bridge Problem (Pro)

I have Windows XP Pro running on a Pentium 4 system. The motherboard is Asus P4B533 and is USB2 compatible. I have 3 external drives, 2 are USB2 and the other is USB1. The USB2 drives work fine but I'm having a lot of trouble with the USB1 drive. I use it to transport data from one location to another. Everytime I reconnect it to the system Windows XP thinks it is a new piece of hardware and asks for a USB/IDE Bridge. I downloaded this from the MELCO site. I don't know how many times I've had to install it. Often Windows XP fails to install this. Sometimes it gives me a warning message (the driver isn't signed/registered ??? I forget). It's as if Windows XP is uninstalling the USB?IDE Bridge everytime the device is removed. I've tried removing the USB1 drive with the system switched off and with it switched on but still everytime I reconnect the drive Windows XP seems to have forgotten about it. The other machine I connect the drive to is Windows Millennium. This has no problems. I just connect, switch on and the drive is there.

Is there anything I can do, it's very frustrating.

Thanks,

Chris (Hunt)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: USB/IDE Bridge Problem (Pro)

Do you have any errors shown in Device Manager ? (Hit Windows key and Pause/Break key simultaneously, then Hardware tab, then Device Manager button). Is the device under Universal Serial Bus Controllers is Intel PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller ? Is USB 2.0 Root Hub shown also?

If you did't install SP-1 for Windows XP, download the USB driver from http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/it...odelName=P4B533 and follow the instructions.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: USB/IDE Bridge Problem (Pro)

Thanks for replying - I didn't know the keyboard shortcut to bring up the device manager. That's handy! To answer your quesions:

1. The only device that is disabled is a Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC (I'm not using it)
    2. Under the view devices shown by type there are 15 entries under Universal Serial Bus Controllers:
    Generic USB Hub
    Generic USB Hub
    Intel PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
    standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller
    USB 2.0 Root hub
    USB Mass Storage Device
    USB Mass Storage Device
    USB Mass Storage Device
    USB Printing Support
    USB Root Hub
    USB Root Hub
    USB Root Hub
    USB-IDE Bridge Adapter

By view by connection the USB1 Hard drive coonects as follows:
    USB Root Hub
    Generic USB Hub
    Generic USB Hub
    USB-IDE Bridge Adapter
    USB Device (the hard drive)

3. I have SP-1 for windows XP installled. Should I still try downoading the USB2 driver. USB2 works fine. The device in question is USB1.

Thanks for your help,

Chris