2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Line Graphs (XL.7 SR2)

Is there an affordable third-party or other program that allows the user a fair degree of control over Line graphs based on data in Excel spreadsheets?

I am used to the full scope provided under MS-DOS by SuperCalc 4 (best) and SuperCalc 5 (a bit slow, but prettier on screen), so I am finding the limitations of Excel 7 frustrating and its designers pathetic. They deny me the natural rights not only of creating my own labels for points and axis-ticks but of determining the ranges to be covered by each axis, the interval between grid-lines, and the way I which different data series are represented. Then the format on the spreadsheet panel isn
    All help gratefully received!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Line Graphs (XL.7 SR2)

Thanks to JUJURAF who commented:
    As to your other post #208634 about customizing charts (labels, etc.) You can easily change everything about a chart usually by right-clicking on the area to be changed (legend, axis, grids, etc.). Sometimes it's not easy getting the appropriate menu to appear since there are seem to overlap. The chart wizard doesn't give you every possible thing that you change, no wizards do that. Wizards by definition let you select the most common features to get you started then you customize it after that.

Thanks for encouraging me to explore Excel Graphs further despite initial frustration.

If I have been using a Wizard, I was unaware of it. I used this dialog box labelled Chart Options, obtained after right-clicking on the chart area. It offered a Gridlines Tab, but the available options are major only or major and minor (minor without major can be set, but sensibly doesn't work) - only to this small extent was the interval between grid-lines under my control. I didn't discover that more precise right-clicking would give a different set of options, but they still didn't allow me full control of the vertical gridline spacing.

The answer to the gridline problem seems to be to use a scatter graph, not a line graph: I now have control over the x-axis, and have got the desired gridlines from spreadsheet to paper. Perhaps it was just a peculiar aberration when Excel printed only alternate gridlines, rather than all the major ones. Is there a way to draw lines from point to point on an Excel scatter graph?

Data-labels: The only available options I've found are Show Value (which shows the y-value) Show Label (hardly intuitive!) which shows the x-value, and None. Is it possible to get a third column of data, most often brief text, to be displayed as text labels beside the points?

Can one get at all this stuff via Visual Basic?

I would still like what I originally asked about- an affordable third-party or other program that allows the user a fair degree of control over graphs that use data residing in Excel spreadsheets?

Thanks

A tip I find useful:
    You can learn a lot (though it usually must be cleaned up a lot) is to do what you want with the macro recorder and then look at the code. Ther is ususlly much more items recorded than you need, but it get you started.

Steve

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for the encouragement, and for drawing my attention to bmsltd.ie - that site looks very promising, and removes my concern about the charting capabilities of Excel being limited - just leaves me wondering whether I can handle the VBA.

Thanks

1) you can draw almost anything on an XY chart just set up the X and Y's coordinates for the line or curve. I draw boxes, curves all sorts of things. i even make Box and Whisker plots to be used as "makers" for distributions with XY charts
    (You can use this technique to add a range of your "gridlines" if they are not evenly spaced or you want to start them at something other than the min value.)

2) DataLabels are best handeled in VB if there are lots of points: Here is a site that has an excellent addin (XYChartLabeler by Rob Bovey)
    http://www.bmsltd.ie/mvp/

It makes the labels work more like Lotus123 did. Why this feature is NOT part of standard excel is beyond me.

3) yes all the chart options are available using VB.

Steve

Edited Mar 13th 2004 to update link