Thread: Arial Font

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Arial Font

I have a computer running WIN98SE. The Arial font in all applications is corrupted (small dots appear on some of the characters and make them unreadable.) Is there a way to reload the font? I can't find a download anywhere.

Thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Arial Font

The Arial font is really a collection of .TTF files that make up the series. I believe it would be a copyright violation for someone to send the files to you, as miniscule as that may seem. Do you have your Win98 CD handy? If you do, and also have a copy of Winzip, you could browse in the .CAB files on the CD to see if you can find the one where font files are stored. They will (may) be in the CAB files with something like xxxx.TT_ in compressed form. It'll take a little searching but it can be done. Of course, Windows would object to re-installing a font that's already installed, so you may have to un-install the Arial font first, and to be truthful, I don't even know if Windows will let you do that or not. You may be stuck with a repair re-installation in the final analysis. Anyone else have any ideas?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I just did a little checking on my Win98 CD and it seems that the Arial font files are in a file called WIN98_52.CAB. If you have your CD you ought to be able to extract the TTF files.

Thanks

BigAlDoc (& Whomever):

Can't you just run 'Setup' from within Windows to patch and fix any damaged files?
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

New Lounger
    Thanks

Put the Win 98SE CD in the drive, type sfc in the "Run" box, then click "replace one file" (or words to that effect), then type in that Cab file whatever, and the
    computer should just take it from there. I use it often to fix things that get corrupted. Good Luck.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I wonder if you can use System File Checker to replace corrupted Font files....(I've only ever used SFC for .dll's......but it was probably the only redeeming feature of Windows 98).