Star Lounger
    Thanks

Security & Passwords (pro SP1)

Do I still need to set a password on my home pc, does the password help protect it from internet attacks or just from people logging on locally? I have zonealarm and mcafee running.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Security & Passwords (pro SP1)

I think that the use of a password WITH a user account "only" controls the ability to logon with that username and associated privileges. As far as vulnerability to intrusion from the web, it's the TYPE of user account that can add some protection to what you already have done, that is antivirus and firewall. MS recommends in Help that we NOT logon with administrative rights in order to prevent a trojan from getting in the door and performing tasks that only an administrator could do. I think you've already taken the first preventive step with ZoneAlarm!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cheers Al,

So best plan is to create a new admin user and down grade my normal account to user.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

That is OK. A 'normal' user should allow you to do your day-to-day activities. But be aware that when you install/update software you need to be logged on as a user with administrative rights. Probably the same for any hardware updates too.

Joe
    Joe