Lounger
    Thanks

Moving non-hidden rows (Excel XP)

I have a list that I want to divide into two lists, based on a text criterion in one of the fields. I have no problems setting up an autofilter to just show the rows that satisfy my citerion. Now I want to cut and paste those rows to a new list, leaving behind the rows that don't satify the criterion. However, when I do this the only practical way in my case (dragging over the row headings, i.e., not selecting them individually), the *whole* list gets moved. Experimenting further, I see that this behaviour is more general, and applies whenever you have hidden rows or columns. Is there any easy way I can select *only* the visible rows so that I can do my cut and paste to form my new list?

5 Star Lounger
    Reading/Swindon, Berkshire, United Kingdom
    Thanks

Re: Moving non-hidden rows (Excel XP)

I think what you're after is "edit/go to/special/visible cells only." However, note that cut will not work here as you'll end up with multiple selections, so you'll have to copy, paste and then delete the originals. Also, you'll have to preserve the header row.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Sure. Select the entire filtered table, then select from the standard Menu, Edit, GoTo, Special, Visible Cells Only, then perform your Cut&Paste.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, that *almost* did it. Excel won't allow you to do a cut on the multiple selection. However, I could do a copy and then a Delete Row, and that did it for me.